Tremolo Technique

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
neil

Tremolo Technique

Post by neil » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi, I'm working on my tremolo technique.

Would you have advise or exercice to improve ?

georgemarousi

Re: Tremolo Technique

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm

As strange as it sounds, working on alternative fignerings (i.e: p-i-m-a) will help you on a more stable p-a-m-i which I think is the more "easy" and fluend for the RH.
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm

You might look at my video on tremolo (I know, that's what I always say). Some people have had success with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIiaY_M ... 59&index=5

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am

Just to share my experience, recently I've detected a very bad muscle memory with my right pinky finger, whenever I try to speed up my "iami" movement (I'm still practicing flamenco tremolo), my pinky finger collapses to the point that it is like glued to my palm, which severely limits my ring finger movement in particular and overall finger movements in general. As a result, after each "piami" gesture, it takes a while for my right hand fingers, especially the ring finger to return to the string to continue playing the next gesture, which causes a gap between gestures.

The weird thing is that, when I apply the same kind of movement "piami" on other surfaces like the edge of a PC keyboard or the edge of my smartphone, I can move "piami" very fast, very smoothly without any tension problem and without that bad pinky finger issue. I guess it has to be something happens due to the feedback from guitar strings to the fingers.

The only solution I can think of now is to slow down my ring finger movement and pay more attention to the release of both ring and pinky finger after each stroke :(

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 am

Guitar Maniac wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am
The only solution I can think of now is to slow down my ring finger movement and pay more attention to the release of both ring and pinky finger after each stroke :(
How about trying rasgueados with c?

I am thinking that the movement on the tabletop is probably more up and down, whereas the movement on the guitar is more like bicycling the fingers, so there is an extension from the smaller joints as in rasgueado.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm

neil wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit so the advice can be more specific. Where are you with the technique and what issues do you currently see?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Here's my advice.... don't put the guitar down. Make sure your fundamentals are correct. If in doubt, get a good teacher, even if it's for just this one technique for a couple of weeks. Then practice a lot! Most great guitarists live it. They wake up in the morning with a guitar in their hand, and go to sleep the same way. You can even get yourself an electric guitar or a Prax Ax (do they still have those), and practice without sound so you don't disturb anyone. On the phone, while watching T.V., whatever. Have a guitar in your hand. Just ask Jimi.

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 am

Rasputin wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 am
Guitar Maniac wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am
How about trying rasgueados with c?

I am thinking that the movement on the tabletop is probably more up and down, whereas the movement on the guitar is more like bicycling the fingers, so there is an extension from the smaller joints as in rasgueado.
  • Thank you for the advice about trying rasgueados with c. I think it is a good way to help me unlearn my bad habit with c
  • About applying tremolo pattern on other surfaces than guitar, in fact I've tried the movement at the edge of a keyboard / smartphone so it's still kind of push then pull movement, very similar to the movement with guitar, the difference here is the edges of those things are much more rigid than guitar strings and they don't return the same kind of feedback like guitar strings

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm

thanks for all your advises. It's really interesting to read. For Guitarrista, I would like to improve my speed but when i try my figer a make more sound than the others.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:46 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm
neil wrote:

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit so the advice can be more specific. Where are you with the technique and what issues do you currently see?

Im working on recuerdos de la alhambra with p a m i but my finger a is always louder than other.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:41 pm

neil wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:46 pm
guitarrista wrote:
neil wrote:

Im working on recuerdos de la alhambra with p a m i but my finger a is always louder than other.
You can try the following and see if it makes a difference: play slowly, don't worry about left hand (stay in the first shape for LH but play the same bass string rather than cycle through the three), and count in fives, accentuating (presumably translates to playing it louder than the rest in the group) the first note in the group of five, like so:

P-a-m-i-p-A-m-i-p-a-M-i-p-a-m-I-p-a-m-i-P-a-m-i-p-...

Another thing to try is as someone else suggested - reversing the order like so : p-i-m-a-p-i-m-a...

A third thing to try is to consciously play a as quiet as you can, while you play p, i, and m at their regular volume.

All this is best tried at pretty slow speed, perhaps lower than 60 clicks (if 4 notes per click). Actually, if you've never tried to overlay a count of five over a 4-pattern before, it might take you some time and a really slow speed just to get used to it. That's normal.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:49 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:41 pm
neil wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:46 pm
guitarrista wrote:

A good exercise for that would be to isolate just a,m,i. Don't worry about p for this exercise..
Go slow and concentrate just on a,m,i. Planting could also be utilized during this and would definitely help.
Also do just a and i, and a and m. And of course concentrate on uniformity of volume and tone.
Go slow at first until you have equal volume at a very slow speed. Then speed up.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Thank You every body for your help!! it's really interesting!! Let's play now

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”