Should One Observe the Rests in the Giuliani RH Studies?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
tamfam

Should One Observe the Rests in the Giuliani RH Studies?

Post by tamfam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Of the 120 right-hand studies by Giuliani, some contain rests, but most do not. I'm tempted to ignore the rests, but if doing so is being expedient then I would like to understand the logic.

TheRoadGoesOn4Ever

Re: Should One Observe the Rests in the Giuliani RH Studies?

Post by TheRoadGoesOn4Ever » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:43 pm

I would say yes, observe them. What you are learning by doing this is "string dampening" (muting strings). This is a vital Right Hand technique.

For example, when playing the music of Bach and observing the rests in the bass melody, you are helping to define and give extra texture to the bass melody (as opposed to just letting every bass note ring out). In some instances when playing music (such as Sor Study No. 4 in D major : study of playing melody in the bass / thumb control), you will be playing melodic lines across numerous bass strings, and will need to dampen already vibrating strings in order to not obscure or blur the melody (I hope that makes sense).

Overall, yes observe them. String dampening is a necessary technique to have in your arsenal.
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

mainterm

Re: Should One Observe the Rests in the Giuliani RH Studies?

Post by mainterm » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I agree - you should observe them. Or put another way: you should be able to observe them before you (artfully) decide to do something else.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”