Create more in speed in the right hand

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Niederschrift

Create more in speed in the right hand

Post by Niederschrift » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 am

Hello all :bye: ,

its time for me to learn difficult songs. One of my soft spot is speed in my right hand. Does someone know good lessons to create more in speed in the right hand?

with greetings
Die Musik drückt das aus, was nicht gesagt werden kann und worüber zu schweigen unmöglich ist. - Victor Hugo

dtoh

Re: Create more in speed in the right hand

Post by dtoh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 am

Giuliani RH Studies, Iznaola, etc. There's quite a lot of material out there. Unfortunately I hate to say this, but I think it's mostly about many, many hours of careful practice to gradually build speed.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:30 am

Learn by practice and observation which muscles are required to play. Relax all the others.

Henny

Post by Henny » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:33 am

please check the answers in the previous topics about speed before opening a new topic

Robin

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Niederschrift,

As already mentioned, be acutely aware of tension in your right hand. It's important to have an internal awareness of what your hand feels like completely relaxed so that you can notice when tension builds and how it is affecting your development of speed.

I think there is value in using progressive exercises such as Giuliani, Carlevaro, Iznaola, etc because they are predictable and you can more easily assess which finger/finger pattern is problematic along the way. I would say it's also important to work on applying these skills to your chosen repertoire to assess the response of your skills in a more unpredictable setting.

Working exercises or short repertoire sections in dotted rhythms is helpful to increase your tempo painlessly. Using a metronome, take an exercise pattern or a manageable small section (take it down to one beat if needed), first play it with a long - short pattern until it runs smoothly, then reverse the pattern to short - long, playing once again until it runs smooth. Then play it as written. You should notice an ease that wasn't present prior to your dotted rhythm practice. Continue to work your way up with the metronome to get closer to your goal.

Another way to practice is speed bursts. Take an exercise pattern or a manageable repertoire section. Play the chosen section two times slow, one time double time and repeat the cycle until it feels smooth. Gradually work your way up the metronome settings toward your goal. Again, when you return back to the context of the exercise, you should notice more ease and confidence in your skill.

Best of luck in reaching your goals!

Robin

Disclaimer: I don't take credit for these speed building techniques. All credit goes to both of my teachers who used these techniques to help me to reach my goals.
So much music, so little time.

Niederschrift

Post by Niederschrift » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am

Hallo together,

thx for your suggestions. I play lead e-guitar for now 28 years. There are a lot of exercises but you can transfer only conditional this exercises from e-guitar to classical guitar. It´s for me (and generally) importent to learn this technique from begin correctly(!) but i have not much experience in case "speed in a classical guitar" and i will not learn wrong.

:bye:
Die Musik drückt das aus, was nicht gesagt werden kann und worüber zu schweigen unmöglich ist. - Victor Hugo

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 am

Robin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:55 am
Hi Niederschrift,

As already mentioned, be acutely aware of tension in your right hand. It's important to have an internal awareness of what your hand feels like completely relaxed so that you can notice when tension builds and how it is affecting your development of speed.

I think there is value in using progressive exercises such as Giuliani, Carlevaro, Iznaola, etc because they are predictable and you can more easily assess which finger/finger pattern is problematic along the way. I would say it's also important to work on applying these skills to your chosen repertoire to assess the response of your skills in a more unpredictable setting.

Working exercises or short repertoire sections in dotted rhythms is helpful to increase your tempo painlessly. Using a metronome, take an exercise pattern or a manageable small section (take it down to one beat if needed), first play it with a long - short pattern until it runs smoothly, then reverse the pattern to short - long, playing once again until it runs smooth. Then play it as written. You should notice an ease that wasn't present prior to your dotted rhythm practice. Continue to work your way up with the metronome to get closer to your goal.

Another way to practice is speed bursts. Take an exercise pattern or a manageable repertoire section. Play the chosen section two times slow, one time double time and repeat the cycle until it feels smooth. Gradually work your way up the metronome settings toward your goal. Again, when you return back to the context of the exercise, you should notice more ease and confidence in your skill.

Best of luck in reaching your goals!

Robin

Disclaimer: I don't take credit for these speed building techniques. All credit goes to both of my teachers who used these techniques to help me to reach my goals.
Hi Robin,

These are very good ideas. I tend to practice at the same tempo and the speed bursts/slow practice and exaggerated rhythm exercises are both something I will add. Thanks for your thoughtful reply to the query.

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

CactusWren

Post by CactusWren » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Generally speaking, to play fast, you need to reduce the amount of time between each attack. Doing this by speeding up slow playing does not work. You usually hit a speed wall and will need to change the technique, similar to the difference between walking and running (speeding up a walk does not result in your fastest movement; you have to change to the running technique for that). Instead, you need to find the "running technique" that you will be using for fast passages. This is different for different movements, of course. Here are some models:
1. simple arpeggios are based on closing the whole hand into a fist; this is the model for pami, pima, pim, pmi, etc.
2. complicated arps are based on multiples of #1. pimami could be thought of as pima+mi
3. two finger scales are athletically challenging, and can be approached by flams (playing i as a timeless ornament to m, for example), and then building into 3,4, 5, and more bursts.
4. what about fast left hand position changes? Generally, if you move the elbow first, the hand can be "flung" to its new position almost instantly.
Once you acquire these new techniques, it's generally better to slow them down (but keeping the fast, "running" movement) and practice for accuracy than try to play fast all the time.

Dan Seufert

Post by Dan Seufert » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:39 pm

You mention that you are an electric guitar player. I wonder if Matt Palmer's technique is something for you to look into (youtube, he has a book). He is an e guitar player who converted to classical and is a proponent of the three notes per string system. One thing he is known for is fast runs. This may/may not be something you are after.

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

I think pushing the arpeggios to certain speed you need is quite useful.
Piece like Pujol's El Abejorro, Villa Lobos Etude No.1 and Coste's Op.38 No.23 is a choice for me.
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Niederschrift

Post by Niederschrift » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am

Hi all,

sorry for the late answer but i was for few weeks in hospital. I see, it will be a long project :-)

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”