Best way to go about learning arpeggios (caged)

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jason Hensley

Best way to go about learning arpeggios (caged)

Post by Jason Hensley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi I have been playing for awhile now and am starting to get curious about arpeggios. I know i play a few from time to time and I know that I can apply the caged method and using my shapes can count intervals to make arpeggios. I was however thinking there must be a consistent shape as with i.e. the e major chord becomes the e shape barre across the 6th string. Is there a consistency with this as well with arpeggios? Any good reccomendations on what order(7th 1st, M 2nd etc...). I really want to delve into arpeggios at its depth. Now I know that it is a large part of what is played classically. My goal is NOT to learn a couple at a time because there are so many. I want to understand the theory behind it which I essentailly do now, but am wondering if I really have to count everytime or if there are more convenient shapes to memorize so instead of trying to remember three notes out of a d sharp minor arpeggio I can just say hey i need this shape and its done.
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph. - Robert E. Howard.

Jason Hensley

Re: Best way to go about learning arpeggios (caged)

Post by Jason Hensley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Also I would like it to be known that I am working on memorizing each of the shape positions for the Major Scale, c,a,g etc... In the meanwhile, while i am memorizing these shapes it is my goal to at least be able to start tackling the iceberg that is arpeggios.
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph. - Robert E. Howard.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”