imam technique for runs

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
EternalStudent

imam technique for runs

Post by EternalStudent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Hey there.

I've recently developed the ability to play scales using 3 right hand fingers instead of my usual 2 and have run into some interesting technical challenges as a result, particularly when playing jazzy lines which skip over a string.

If I'm playing the G, B and E strings (in that order - think about an Em arpeggio in root position starting on the 9th fret of the G string), I have quite a bit of difficulty playing it at high speed using fingers m, a, i... but this is what happens if I'm playing my "line" using all three fingers. i, m, a feels so much more natural but if I'm sticking strictly to imam imam then this is the position I get myself into. I'm wondering if I am wasting my time practicing it with m, a, i (I know a lot of players who don't use 3 fingers when they're playing lines) or whether I should stick to it until I've mastered it.

To be fair, I'm pretty bad at m, i, m, i when crossing strings B to E so I think I probably just need to put the time in.

I appreciate that there may be no "right" or "wrong" answer to this but I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

Thanks in advance if you can assist.

guitarrista

Re: imam technique for runs

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

But if you are sticking strictly to imam-imam-imam... the finger sequence "m, a, i" never occurs. So could you rephrase or correct or add more details to the question? Sounds to me like you are actually doing ima-ima-ima, which is how "m,a,i" could occur.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

EternalStudent

Post by EternalStudent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Apologies, I mean a,m,i.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

You might want to pick up Matt Palmer's, the virtuoso guitarist, volume 1 book. It's all about AMI scales. Excellent book and quite useful for developing that technique.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm

EternalStudent wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm
Apologies, I mean a,m,i.
OK to recap (and you might want to hit 'edit' and correct you original post):

You developed an ability to play fast scales using imam-imam-imam cycling. In a scale run this RH fingering ends up forcing you to use a-m-i to play one note each in sequence on g-b-e treble (3-2-1) strings. Which is the opposite of what one is used to do in this case - ima. Is this correct?

My quick suggestion would be - don't worry about momentarily breaking your cycling sequence - just figure out how to piece it so you can use i-m-a there and stitch it within the imamimam... that you normally do.

For a deep dive into three-finger (specifically ami-ami-ami, though) scale technique, follow Emil's suggestion and get Palmer's booklet.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

EternalStudent

Post by EternalStudent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I really appreciate the helpful suggestions and will do that.

I'm curious as to why people often seem to choose not to use 3 fingers. I wonder if it's for stylistic/artistic reasons since it seems to me to make sense to "smoke 'em if you got 'em".

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”