Travel practice advice

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
wannabe

Travel practice advice

Post by wannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 pm

I am traveling to Africa on safari next month. I am only allowed 33 pounds of luggage including purse and photo stuff. Any recommendations or ideas on how to practice in the bush? Even finger exercises. I have only been playing two years and I am afraid my hard earned progress will go away! It will be for two weeks.

pmiklitz

Re: Travel practice advice

Post by pmiklitz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Don't stress yourself about not being able to practice for two weeks and enjoy the Safari instead. The progress you have made in two years will not go away in two weeks.

Have fun in Africa,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Thank you Peter! I hope so. Perhaps I will bring a photo of my fret board, I think my biggest challenge at this time is that the entire fret board is not instinctual for me as I had to struggle to learn where all the notes were!. Maybe if I look at a photo while trying not to think about the lions roaming the camp :) that will help!

bensonm

Post by bensonm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I would agree with Peter. You won't lose much if anything in just two weeks, but one thing you might consider is bringing the sheet music for one or two of the pieces that you are currently working on and then looking at them and imagining how you would finger/play them in your head. So, you play the guitar but in your head. My teacher sometimes says that learning the guitar is not all physical, some of it is in your head. It would be interesting to find out how you do with them when you get back after two weeks of imaginary practice.

But whatever you do, have fun in Africa.

Mike
Michael L. Benson
Cervantes Rodriguez Concert
Aria AC60

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Thank you Mike! Great idea. I had a dressage instructor say that athletes use that technique to improve their game. It works for them so why not in this scenario!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Excellent advice above. What you have achieved is certainly not going away in 2 weeks. The idea of playing in your head is perfectly sound - after all, it's all in the mind, isn't it? Studying a score without the guitar can be fruitful when it comes to actually playing.
Maybe one of the guides will have a guitar in camp - this happened to me in Botswana. Playing Bach at night with lions roaring is one of my more unusual guitar memories.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I take my Aria Sinsonido with me on all trips. It small and light weigh. Also, maybe you can pick up something while you are there. I would ask the safari company if they have something you can barrow. Worth a try.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 pm

I take my Aria Sinsonido with me on all trips. It small and light weigh. Also, maybe you can pick up something while you are there. I would ask the safari company if they have something you can barrow. Worth a try.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 am

Just an idea, though I haven't tried it but I see very good reviews, and I thing of getting one myself for vacation:

-> Cordoba Mini R Travel Guitar

and some of the dimensions, to get an idea ( it loos both very portable and also playable )

Nylon strings
Top: Solid spruce
Back and sides: Rosewood
Body binding: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Rosewood
Scale: 510 mm
18 Frets
Nut width: 50 mm
Nut and saddle *** Commercial link removed *** made of bone
Silver Cordoba machine heads with black buttons
Aquila 96C strings
Body width: 195 mm
Body length: 255 mm
Overall length: 775 mm
Body depth: 65 - 75 mm
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 am

Just forget about the guitar for 2 weeks, it'll be good for you and give your brain a chance to consolidate your learning so far.
You'll come back after 2 weeks and after an hour or so of getting the fingers going again my prediction is you will play a little better than before you left because of the rest.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Steve Langham wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 am
Just forget about the guitar for 2 weeks, it'll be good for you and give your brain a chance to consolidate your learning so far.
You'll come back after 2 weeks and after an hour or so of getting the fingers going again my prediction is you will play a little better than before you left because of the rest.
You know that might be good advise! I find occasionally when I miss a day of practice I play looser and more relaxed and get a better sound out of my guitar. I like the idea of a travel guitar but since I am so limited on weight (33pounds including camera equipment) maybe I will just chill and perhaps study just the sheet music.

TheRoadGoesOn4Ever

Post by TheRoadGoesOn4Ever » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 pm

When all else fails, try mental practice. I know they have "hand grips"... Hand devices with springs attached. You squeeze these and you get resistance. Almost like weight lifting I guess for the fingers. I don't know how effective these are though. I have also seen in the past a small block of wood with nylon strings attached. The spacing in between the strings is the same as on a guitar. That might be a good idea for RH practice.
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”