Beginner question: how much to practice and how to practice

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Guitar Slim Jr.

Re: Beginner question: how much to practice and how to practice

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 am

CactusWren wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:54 pm
Don't do Kitharalogus. That's the equivalent of doing worksheets in school. It's busy work. Any guitar method would be better--Sagreras, Shearer, Noad, Duncan, Romero, Aguado, Yates, the South American schools--anything. There will be plenty of exercises and etudes that are much more selective and effective. Kitharalogus might be a good idea if you intelligently combined it with graded repertoire and had an expected lifespan of 150 and no job or other responsibilities and you knew your body wouldn't get RSI or focal dystonia. It is the Hanon of guitar and similarly a time-waster, of great use for burned out teachers...

You don't actually need exercises for the most part. Instead of learning whole pieces, pick digestible chunks (maybe what you can memorize in a few minutes) and just repeat those for 15 minutes or so until they are perfected. Do this several days in a row until the state of ease comes up when you pick it up cold--now it is mastered. Practicing this way will make sure you're getting the maximum benefit from each lesson instead of just rushing through the material and ending up half-assed like most players, in the eternal intermediate state.

In the guitar, muting is very important usually ignored, so your sensitivity to the ringing notes is a good sign. The first priority is to mute basses so the harmony is clear. Probably you should place more emphasis on playing the treble notes cleanly and with good technique rather than moving the hand around a lot to mute, but by all means do it if it's easy. And if you can't stand the effect of unintended overlapping sounds, then do what you must to satisfy yourself!
I agree 100%. I did my share of work on scales and exercieses with the metronome -- but that was much further on in my development, when I was really focusing on the finer mechanics of my technique.

Where you are right now -- the exercises in whatever method you are working in should be plenty of technique work. In addition to that, just learn (and play) lots of music. Buy some graded anthologies and go exploring!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”