Sor Study Op. 6 No. 3

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
DanManGuitar

Sor Study Op. 6 No. 3

Post by DanManGuitar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm

In Sor Study Op. 6 No. 3, What should I do to be able to execute the slurs more cleanly and with good articulation, at a reasonable tempo?

Yisrael van Handel

Re: Sor Study Op. 6 No. 3

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm

There is a good description of how to execute slurs in Scott Tenant's Pumping Nylon.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm
In Sor Study Op. 6 No. 3, What should I do to be able to execute the slurs more cleanly and with good articulation, at a reasonable tempo?
PS. Sor intended that you play these slurs with the thumb. That is the meaning of the stems that point down. That does not come naturally to a guitarist with modern training, but you might find that it helps to gain clarity and articulation.
In general, I find the Sor exercises of the most excellent didactic value. Even though the notes are easy to read, this set of 12 is meant for the guitarist that already has a solid technique. Sor's didactic studies in order of difficulty are Op. 44, 60, 35, 31, 6. and 29. I think it makes sense to work through all six sets. Musically, they have no peer for didactic studies on the guitar. And they introduce technical issues, one step at a time, so that over time the student accumulates a deep technical mastery without ever being in danger of boredom.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 pm
DanManGuitar wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm
PS. Sor intended that you play these slurs with the thumb. That is the meaning of the stems that point down. That does not come naturally to a guitarist with modern training, but you might find that it helps to gain clarity and articulation.
In general, I find the Sor exercises of the most excellent didactic value. Even though the notes are easy to read, this set of 12 is meant for the guitarist that already has a solid technique. Sor's didactic studies in order of difficulty are Op. 44, 60, 35, 31, 6. and 29. I think it makes sense to work through all six sets. Musically, they have no peer for didactic studies on the guitar. And they introduce technical issues, one step at a time, so that over time the student accumulates a deep technical mastery without ever being in danger of boredom.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”