What is a Syncope ?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

What is a Syncope ?

Post by Daniel Penalva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm

I have been in this subject for a while, researching Maxixe rythm and its origin (Lundu and others europeans rythms). In Maxixe you happen to have 16-8-16 cell, but you can emulate syncopa harmonically with 16-16-16-16 cell and intervals.
But going through Mr Delcamp material i meet with bizarre guys like 8+16-16-(8 or 4). So what do you guys/girls understand as the field of the Syncopation ? Is it caracteristic of some period in CG (as it is from afro-brazillian music) ?

Rasputin

Re: What is a Syncope ?

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:11 pm

I think this question is off the back of a reference to the syncope dissonance in a post you quoted in another thread.

I looked at that because I had previously read that the syncope dissonance included both the seventh chord and the sus4, so I was wondering whether there was a time when the seventh in the V7 chord was understood to have been borrowed from a preceding ii chord (seems not).

I found a useful article at http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~caplin/capl ... ension.pdf that explains where the term came from and a little about how it evolved.

When you talk about 16-8-16, you mean a 16 bar section followed by an 8 bar section followed by another 16 bar section? If so, then if we are going to relate this to some small-scale rhythmic phenomenon, isn't more like a skipped beat than a syncopation. It's as though 3/4 has become 5/8.

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Re: What is a Syncope ?

Post by Daniel Penalva » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Still dosnt understand syncope dissonance, but will go through this nice ref to learn more ...

I was talking about rythmic cells (16-8-16 is 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/16 sequence of tempo of notes ). In brazillian music, syncopation is understood, e.g., to be the following rythmics substitution: 4-4 -> 8-8-8-8 -> 8-8-8-16-16 -> 8-8-16-8-16 -> 8-(8-16)-8-16

with (.) holding for connected note tempos. So there is the 16-8-16 in question, it appears frequently in maxixe, choro samba and others ...

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”