Practice method for difficult passages

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Re: Practice method for difficult passages

Post by Rognvald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:38 am

"I do play music for a living, and have for 15 years! First you struck out with your comment about DR, then you come up with this. Jazz musicians don't use drugs. They don't practice licks. How ridiculous.

You have your opinions and experiences, but they're obviously limited. I'm done here."

Hi, CW,
I've tried to decipher your above remarks but I really don't understand what you are saying. Perhaps you can try again and write with better clarity. And, what is DR? Further, I never said Jazz musicians don't use drugs. I said the one's who have done so have always said they played better straight than when they were high. Among them are Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker, Gene Ammons, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker among the many who dealt with drug problems. Only an idiot thinks he plays better high and you have an entire industry--Rock Music where this is the norm. In regards to a Jazz musician practicing licks . . .I've never done it nor have I known any of my friends to do so . . .we/they play scales, chords, chord inversions, work on melodic/harmonic lines but when it comes to a gig, we/they try to allow the spontaneity of the moment and the feedback from the other musicians to prevail. That's Jazz. And, the only time I've heard "practiced" solos is in the college/university programs that have a Jazz Studies Department where they memorize written solos transcribed from old LP's. In large, they're not creating Jazz players, they're creating music machines who play rote "improvisations" and, for many, if they had to get off the page, they would be lost in the woods. Yes, I do have my opinions and experiences. But, for you to state they are limited based upon my remarks which you have grossly misread/understood is patently absurd. I have no idea what type of music you play for a living but I can assure you that based upon your remarks we live in very different worlds. However, that's what makes the world go 'round. It's unlikely our planets will ever collide. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:39 am

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:38 am
"I do play music for a living, and have for 15 years! First you struck out with your comment about DR, then you come up with this. Jazz musicians don't use drugs. They don't practice licks. How ridiculous.

You have your opinions and experiences, but they're obviously limited. I'm done here." CactusWren

Hi, CW,
I've tried to decipher your above remarks but I really don't understand what you are saying. Perhaps you can try again and write with better clarity. And, what is DR? Further, I never said Jazz musicians don't use drugs. I said the one's who have done so have always said they played better straight than when they were high. Among them are Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker, Gene Ammons, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker among the many who dealt with drug problems. Only an idiot thinks he plays better high and you have an entire industry--Rock Music where this is the norm. In regards to a Jazz musician practicing licks . . .I've never done it nor have I known any of my friends to do so . . .we/they play scales, chords, chord inversions, work on melodic/harmonic lines but when it comes to a gig, we/they try to allow the spontaneity of the moment and the feedback from the other musicians to prevail. That's Jazz. And, the only time I've heard "practiced" solos is in the college/university programs that have a Jazz Studies Department where they memorize written solos transcribed from old LP's. In large, they're not creating Jazz players, they're creating music machines who play rote "improvisations" and, for many, if they had to get off the page, they would be lost in the woods. Yes, I do have my opinions and experiences. But, for you to state they are limited based upon my remarks which you have grossly misread/understood is patently absurd. I have no idea what type of music you play for a living but I can assure you that based upon your remarks we live in very different worlds. However, that's what makes the world go 'round. It's unlikely our planets will ever collide. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you for the video, Daniel. I've learned quite a few beneficial things from you and your site.

I appreciate your contribution.
-mitch

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”