Quick Poll, thanks in advance.

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
kmurdick

Quick Poll, thanks in advance.

Post by kmurdick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:50 pm

If you could take a few seconds and do this: hold your right hand out in front of you with your fingers relaxed at their natural equilibrium point (mid-range). Now grab the middle joint segment of the 'i' finger with the left hand and slowly move it back and forth. You should feel some minor resistance. Now reverse this procedure do this the the left hand 'i' middle joint segment. Do you notice any difference in the resistance? If so, which offers the most resistance, right or left? Thanks for you help- just a little basic research.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Re: Quick Poll, thanks in advance.

Post by Larry McDonald » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm

No difference.
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

I assume you mean move the index middle joint in the direction of plucking the string? If so, my right index finger offers more resistance than my left index.

Edit: the resistance comes from my knuckle joint

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Much more resistance with the left in all joints and all directions. That hand is also bigger.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Both equal, moving either side to side or fore and aft, since I was not sure what you meant by "back and forth".
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Did it once, RH seemed freer to move - did it again, they seemed the same.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Both the same.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm

What I meant was in the direction of the stroke, not side to side. With me, it is noticeably more tense in the right hand for both i and m. However, if I concentrate, I can make almost equal to the left hand. Those right hand middle joint segments almost want to kick back against any applied movement.

I've got the "old guy's learned it late and wrong' syndrome", and I'm wondering if teaching these segments to relax would allow the fingers to operate efficiently.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Question is, what does it mean? If anything.

Briant

Post by Briant » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm

I found more resistance in my Rh index than my left. Whatever that means.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Steve123, I mean resistance at the middle joint.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Someone asked, "What does this mean?" I don't know. My left hand (plucking the strings with i and m free stroke) has maybe twice the raw speed as my crippled right hand. The only difference I can find between the two hands is the increased resistance of the right hand middle joint. When I do the right hand meditation (biofeedback, actually) on the right hand and get the middle joint to give up almost all the excess tension, it does feel really loose when I alternate. But ten minutes later it's back to where it started and I have to re-loosen it. I've done some other biofeedback tricks to try to cure my right hand. At one point I had what I would call total independence of 'm' finger and the 'ac' complex (see video below), but this turned out to be a red herring. I'm wondering though, whether a version of these biofeedback tricks might be useful for dystonia problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZR0yq ... D7FA3F7B59

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 pm

After playing the guitar for 15 minutes, A lot more tension in my left hand than in my right.

Interestingly enough, the least resistance (by far) was in my right hand ring finger which has a shattered metacarpophalangeal joint and limited movement.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 pm

mChavez, same with me. My 'a' middle joint segment is very loose on both hands.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm

kmurdick wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm
What I meant was in the direction of the stroke, not side to side. With me, it is noticeably more tense in the right hand for both i and m. However, if I concentrate, I can make almost equal to the left hand. Those right hand middle joint segments almost want to kick back against any applied movement.

I've got the "old guy's learned it late and wrong' syndrome", and I'm wondering if teaching these segments to relax would allow the fingers to operate efficiently.
Certainly learning what it feels like to have a totally relaxed hand can't hurt!

Have you played around with range of motion exercises?
For example, drape your arm as you would if you were going to play (if you are sitting, you could rest the forearm on your leg with your hand draped in front of your knee. First, starting with your hand relaxed in what you consider mid range, extend your fingers straight out, count to five then drop the tension out and let them collapse to the midrange position. Then flex the fingers so that the tips touch your palm at the base of the thumb, count to five and then drop the tension out and let them return to the midrange position.
Do this a few times. You are not actively bringing them to the neutral position, but trying to allow them to get there by going limp.
What do you notice? Do you find the release from extension or flexion easier? Are they both the same? Can you allow the hand to go limp or do you have to move your fingers actively to position them in midrange?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”