Notation questions

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
emeraldvalley

Notation questions

Post by emeraldvalley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 am

I am notating on sibelius my arrangement of millers dance defalla and had a few questions as to normal practice for notating some passages
1. In the beginning thru m 13 im single note runs in the low register using a combination of thumb w slurs on same string , and when the notes are occasionally on the 4th or 5th strings using i or m fingers alternating w thumb Can i notate a, i m all on same line either above or below staff? Or is p always showm below staff w i m a on top?it looks easier to read if the p is on same line as the i or m fingers since p is Predominant finger

2 are partial barres designated as C with a fraction next to roman numeral bar position. 5/6 4/6, 3/6. If so , is 3/6 shown as 1/2. Amd 4/6 as 2/3. When part of the barre is released for a note or two for and open string ist string , how is this designated. / as a hinge? If i want to distinguish between a position indication not to be barred vs barred ?

3 rasquedo measure 15. ( The 4 eighth notes Emaj. Chord.). Is it necessary to show the fingers c,a,m i ? I want to show as a real rasq , for the parts after i use alternating up and down strokes. Is this shown w some kind of arrow or vertical (greateror less symbols ? And arw the stroke symbols above or below the r.h fingwr designation? Following that I alternate w i or m fingers w up or down stroke strums.
Thank you

tormodg

Re: Notation questions

Post by tormodg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 am

As for question 1. I think it is entirely up to you as long as it is clear to the performer what to do. See below:

from G.F. Telemann Fantasia No. 4 arranged by Simon Taylor.

Question 2.

This is the typical way to show a barre duration.

I don't know how to show a hinge - you may want to actually write it out ("hinge") :)

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence. Do you mean to indicate playing position but not a barre? Maybe just use roman numerals without C.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Dirck Nagy

Re: Notation questions

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:39 pm

emeraldvalley wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 am
1. As mentioned before, legibility is key. Publishers might have their own house formatting rules, but there isnt anything wrong with p,i,m,a on the same side of the staff / notes.

2. Partial barre is usually 1/2, or a C with a slash through it, despite the number of strings barred. The context of the piece and the player's hand determine whether a partial or full barre is used.

Some publishers use other notes, such as this: 3/3, which means start on string 3 and cover 3 strings with the barre. A bit of overkill if you ask me, because there is no other way to play the chord, but its their choice.
rasg 3.png
I don't know of any specific notation for the hinge, usually if a hinge barre is needed it will be because there is an open string somewhere, which you would indicate by using "0" as the left hand fingering for that note. You could write the word "hinge" but if you are careful with the rhythmic notation and RH fingering, the hinge will be implied anyway.

3. Rasgueado and/or strums can be notated several different ways, some more precise than others.

Sometimes, direction and fingering, and even number of "strums" or fingers needed aren't specified. (last few measures of this example just use a plain "arpeggiate" sign...the squiggly line, and don't specify one finger or several fingers) :
rasg 1.png
Sometimes, direction is specified.
rasg 2.png
Sometimes, direction and finger are both specified:
(i used this example earlier)
rasg 3.png
In any case, if you have a reason for very specific fingerings and notations, you might want to include a glossary at the beginning of the piece.

I know you didn't ask about this so forgive my intrusion, but fingerings are often left to the performer...otherwise the score gets overcluttered.

Cheers!

dirck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”