Free stroke or rest stroke?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
GuitarB

Re: Free stroke or rest stroke?

Post by GuitarB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I am a beginner too. Rest stroke surely creates fuller sound, but most of the time i use free stroke. I use rest stroke to emphasize a phrase.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Tien Dat Nguyen wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:41 am
I do appreciate all your thoughts. Any suggestions for improving free stroke or right hand in general i.e. books, videos.. Thanks
Hi Tien, back in 1976 I started learning classical guitar with a teacher in Saigon for a short period of time -also a beginner, thus I can relate to your experience on rest stroke (ép giây). Your original question has been sufficiently answered by many experienced guitarists -IMO, you will learn both and know when to apply accordingly. This following up question seems more of an overthinking than necessary, but I can understand the desire to accomplish a lot given our limited time! That said, if you so wish, you can look up this very wonderful site and download quite a few valuable resources on guitar methods to complement that of F. Carulli's:
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... itare.html

I am relearning on my own pace (not retiring yet :) ) doing bit and pieces of F. Carulli, also looking at Mateo Carcassi (can be found online), in addition to Julio Sagreras and Tárrega method. And thanks so much classicalguitardelcamp for nurturing old and new aspiring classical guitarists! :bravo:

Tien Dat Nguyen

Post by Tien Dat Nguyen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:09 pm

dta721 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:39 pm
Tien Dat Nguyen wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:41 am
I do appreciate all your thoughts. Any suggestions for improving free stroke or right hand in general i.e. books, videos.. Thanks
Hi Tien, back in 1976 I started learning classical guitar with a teacher in Saigon for a short period of time -also a beginner, thus I can relate to your experience on rest stroke (ép giây). Your original question has been sufficiently answered by many experienced guitarists -IMO, you will learn both and know when to apply accordingly. This following up question seems more of an overthinking than necessary, but I can understand the desire to accomplish a lot given our limited time! That said, if you so wish, you can look up this very wonderful site and download quite a few valuable resources on guitar methods to complement that of F. Carulli's:
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... itare.html

I am relearning on my own pace (not retiring yet :) ) doing bit and pieces of F. Carulli, also looking at Mateo Carcassi (can be found online), in addition to Julio Sagreras and Tárrega method. And thanks so much classicalguitardelcamp for nurturing old and new aspiring classical guitarists! :bravo:
Glad to see a Vietnamese here. Your link seems really helpful. I'll try it out! In Vietnam classical guitar is still not popular so the resource is really limited. My Carulli method books has 2 parts with CD included but the CD play only part 1 (40 studies). Part 2 is about "luyến, nốt hoa mỹ, lấy rền, trổ ngón, các thế tay" ( :desole: for that writing b/c I don't know these terminologies, could you help me out? ). I'm searching for audio/videos about that part. Do you have any clue to it?

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Tien Dat Nguyen wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:09 pm
Glad to see a Vietnamese here. Your link seems really helpful. I'll try it out! In Vietnam classical guitar is still not popular so the resource is really limited. My Carulli method books has 2 parts with CD included but the CD play only part 1 (40 studies). Part 2 is about "luyến, nốt hoa mỹ, lấy rền, trổ ngón, các thế tay" ( :desole: for that writing b/c I don't know these terminologies, could you help me out? ). I'm searching for audio/videos about that part. Do you have any clue to it?
I have the impression you like many others, including myself, want to do too much too soon ! There is no short cut, you can focus on one or at most 2 at a time, and slowly but surely do you homework. Some says it'd take 10,000 hours to be a classical guitarist (?) I think that is for a concert performer. As for me, if I can spend an hour a day, 3 times a week, and increase the commitment as I go along, within a few years I can play something decent, enjoyable for myself and friends. But that is my objective.

Try this F. Sor method, can be downloaded from this site, as a complementary to Carulli for the time being, also use Julio Sagreras as another reference:
http://boije.statensmusikverk.se/ebibli ... 201140.pdf
http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/Julio_Salvad ... itarra.pdf

Enjoy your learning!

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 pm

I'll add my usual contributions to this never ending conversation.

Rest stroke practice improves my free stroke and vice versa. They need to be practiced together, not separately. Practicing them separately tends to develop into two different RH techniques, one for FS and another for RS. They technically shouldn't be that different from each other.

The rest stroke can do a lot more than make a loud noise.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”