Music Box or Musician?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
astro64

Re: Music Box or Musician?

Post by astro64 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:35 pm

An example, for me, of a guitarist who plays every note with meaning is Jan Depreter. Listen e.g. on the youtube recording of him playing Canción Triste by Francisco Calleja. You will find similar quality in his playing of other repertoire. You may not always agree with his choices, but he sure gives meaning to every note.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 am

astro64 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:35 pm
An example, for me, of a guitarist who plays every note with meaning is Jan Depreter. Listen e.g. on the youtube recording of him playing Canción Triste by Francisco Calleja. You will find similar quality in his playing of other repertoire. You may not always agree with his choices, but he sure gives meaning to every note.
I agree with you 100%. There's a lot of great "young" guitarists out there these days. Jan Depreter is one of the best.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 am

To Astro and Dave,
I believe it is important for an aspiring player to find someone whose work he admires and try to learn as much about his sound, style, and interpretations as possible. It gives you a goal and helps develop a critical approach to YOUR music as you work your way down the path to, hopefully, a voice of your own. Afterall, if you don't have a voice like a poet, novelist or a painter, you'll never be a true musician . . . only a music box. In my opinion, it is better to be a struggling guitarist with a personal voice than an accomplished technician who sounds like everyone else. And, in the course of a musical life, one might have numerous "idols" on the road to personal enlightenment which ultimately will make you a richer player from your numerous pilgrimages into differing sounds. As a young saxophone player, my idol was Gene Ammons. He had the big Chicago sound with beautiful lyricism, polished technique and his voice was recognizable after just a few notes. My goal was to "play like Gene" and my sound reflected this passion. In regards to the CG, I haven't found that "one" player(although Segovia comes very close) but rather have been a musical thief that robs the field in a wholesale fashion regarding my personal likes and dislikes. And so it goes . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
P.S. Here's a tasty ballad, "Angel Eyes," from the "Jug"--Gene Ammons https://youtu.be/If77_P8v7iE
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”