Warm Up Question

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
DaveLeeNC

Warm Up Question

Post by DaveLeeNC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm

How long does "a warm-up" last. Obviously if you are well warmed up and take a 5 second break, no problem. A 5 hour break and (at least in my case) you are starting all over again. So somewhere in between (in my case anyway).

I am sure that it is some kind of "exponentially dying function", but at what point (time spent away from the guitar) is (lack of) warm up an issue?

Thanks.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Rognvald

Re: Warm Up Question

Post by Rognvald » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi, Dave,
My warmup is usually a half hour and my goal is to get my hands comfortable and fluent. I do scales(thumb and i-m-a), RH/LH exercises, rasgueados, tremolo, hammer-ons, slurs, chord progressions, and LH finger alterations. I never play cold. When I take a 15-minute break, I'll just play some scales for 5 minutes and then begin working on a piece. If I rest an hour or more, I do the 30-minute warmup with p-i-m-a exercises included. My goal is to never stress my hands and create problems where there are none. This was the same regimen I used as a former athlete to avoid injury. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks for the response. That is helpful.

FWIW, the primary motivation here is my frustration with how I play in the weekly (30 min) lessons that I just started. I am not sure if it is tension or the 20'ish minutes that it takes to drive to my teacher's studio (where I typically warm up before driving to his place).

Probably happens to everyone, I guess.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 am
FWIW, the primary motivation here is my frustration with how I play in the weekly (30 min) lessons that I just started. I am not sure if it is tension or the 20'ish minutes that it takes to drive to my teacher's studio (where I typically warm up before driving to his place).

There have been a few threads on it, for sure. I guess if you try playing without warming up at home - or after a 20 min break, you may be able to rule this out as a cause. I think it is more of a performance anxiety type of thing, although seems to happen whether or not you actually feel anxious. I also think it is easy to overestimate the difference. Maybe it's worth recording yourself at home or even noting the number of mistakes so that you can make a better comparison. When you start to feel that the lesson is going to be pointless because what you are doing just doesn't reflect how you normally play, the whole thing spirals. I think some us (myself included) leap to that conclusion a bit too soon, and a more objective comparison can help stop that.

I sometimes wonder whether it would happen less with Skype lessons.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm

DaveLeeNC wrote:

dave
Dave,
It's unlikely your hands are getting too cold in 20 minutes. It's probably nerves/anticipation. What I would suggest is to leave earlier for your lesson and play some scales for 10 minutes before you begin. If there is not an available practice room, try some relaxation techniques before you arrive. Your teacher knows about these things and he is looking more at your progress than an occasional missed note(s). It's all part of the path you're walking towards competency. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:39 pm

For me I would say half a day or so. But anything over that in the same awake period only takes a few minutes to get back warmed up. After a sleeping cycle and beginning a new day I need to warm up again. If I haven't missed practice the day before it only takes me about half an hour to be fully warmed up (but more or less warmed after the first 15). If I miss practice for a day or two it takes about twice that. Also during periods of irregular practice (when I get too busy to do several hours a day), I find that the warmup 'wears off' quicker (also maybe about twice as fast to guestimate a number).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:42 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:

dave
I get this a lot. Playing well at home, go to 'show off' to my teacher how well I'm progressing and all of a sudden I'm absolute rubbish. It's just a nerves, rush to get to the lesson, sit down, start playing problem.
I don't get it as much anymore, probably because I'm more comfortable with him and a bit more relaxed but it does happen now and then.
A 30 min lesson is pretty short, maybe the lesson feels a bit rushed and you don't have time to relax a bit? Just try and focus your mind a little before you start the lesson or start playing for him and bring your concentration back to your playing and (easier said than done) relax.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 am

Steve Langham wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:42 am
DaveLeeNC wrote:

dave
I get this. Playing well at home, go to 'show off' to my teacher how well I'm progressing and all of a sudden I'm absolute rubbish. I think it's a nerves, rush to get to the lesson, sit down, start playing problem. Not a warm up problem as such.
I don't get it as much anymore, probably because I'm more comfortable with him and a bit more relaxed but it does happen now and then.
A 30 min lesson is pretty short, maybe the lesson feels a bit rushed and you don't have time to relax a bit? Just try and focus your mind a little before you start the lesson or start playing for him and bring your concentration back to your playing and (easier said than done) relax.
Last edited by Steve Langham on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 am

Delete
Last edited by Steve Langham on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 am

Delete
Last edited by Steve Langham on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:45 am

Oops sorry - multiple posts. Please delete Mods. Thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”