where to start in "pumping nylon-complete edition"

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Tien Dat Nguyen

where to start in "pumping nylon-complete edition"

Post by Tien Dat Nguyen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

I have purchased the "pumping nylon-complete edition" book. It includes 3 parts. The first part is the well-known 144 pages, the second part is "easy to early intermediate repertoire" and the last one is "intermediate to advanced". I am wandering which parts I should start off: the first or the second. I am currently maybe pre-intermediate. Does anyone have clues? :merci:

Rasputin

Re: where to start in "pumping nylon-complete edition"

Post by Rasputin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

My personal approach would be:

Burn volume 1

Work through volume 2 from the beginning, moving on to the next piece only when you feel you have played the current piece as accurately and expressively as you possibly can.

Start volume 3 at the same time but move on when you can hit the notes without fail - don't worry too must about expression.

Later you can work back through vol. 3, or maybe just the pieces that you like, and put more expression in.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 am

I would ask what it is you are trying to achieve before wondering 'where to start' for these books.
As the author himself has said before, pumping nylon isn't a method book, it's a compendium of technique workouts/exercises.
If you are looking to follow a structured method as you are self-taught then these books are not the place to start.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 am

Well, that's true, but you can still follow a structured method using the material from the books, and I think the OP was really asking how to go about this, with the goal of progressing from an early intermediate level.

OP, if you want a progressive set of technical exercises, look at Kithalogarus - that is presented more as a structured method but you still need progressive repertoire (which you already have in vols 2 and 3 of PN).

My recollection of PN is that it consists of some exercises that were already out there and were 'borrowed' by ST, which are valuable, and some exercises invented by ST, which have no value at all.

There is also Stanley Yates's book (actually it's in two volumes, so I should say 'books') - they are much longer on explanation and don't have nearly as many exercises, but depending on your learning style they may suit you better.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Rasputin
I believe we are in agreement in that the OP can go many different directions but it would benefit him if he told us what he wants to achieve. His original post assumes he has come to the right solution for his problem (solution being, pumping nylon) but we don't really know the problem he's trying to solve hence would be good to know.
Cheers

Tien Dat Nguyen

Post by Tien Dat Nguyen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 am

Steve Langham wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 am
I would ask what it is you are trying to achieve before wondering 'where to start' for these books.
As the author himself has said before, pumping nylon isn't a method book, it's a compendium of technique workouts/exercises.
If you are looking to follow a structured method as you are self-taught then these books are not the place to start.
Hi, I want to improve my dexterity, so I bought that book. I learnt Carulli's method with a tutor for 6 months but I dropped out b/c of some personal issues. I'm actually self taught now

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Steve Langham wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:37 am
Hi Rasputin
I believe we are in agreement in that the OP can go many different directions but it would benefit him if he told us what he wants to achieve. His original post assumes he has come to the right solution for his problem (solution being, pumping nylon) but we don't really know the problem he's trying to solve hence would be good to know.
Cheers
Sure, agree with you there Steve.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”