Looking for a Fat Apoyando?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Looking for a Fat Apoyando?

Post by Rognvald » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Generally speaking, most melodies are played i-m whether tirando or apoyando. So, the next time you are looking for a big, fat sound in a melody line and are unhappy with the results of the i-m approach, try using m-a. I believe the majority of players will get a bigger sound. It seems, to me, that the slight shifting of the angle of the fingers is responsible. What do you think? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Elman Concepcion
Luthier

Re: Looking for a Fat Apoyando?

Post by Elman Concepcion » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Fat RS sound should not be limited to M and A.
Why should it ?

What is limiting (I) from producing a fat sound ?

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 am

Elman Concepcion wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm
Fat RS sound should not be limited to M and A.
Why should it ?

What is limiting (I) from producing a fat sound ?

Hi, Elman,
It shouldn't, in theory, but if you play an i-m apoyando with perfect technique and then play a-m apoyando, there is a noticeable difference in sound. It is louder and has greater projection. This also applies when doing two finger chords. Try playing first with i-m on any chord with your eyes closed. Then play the same two-finger chord with a-m. Let your ears be the judge. I have never encountered a player who has not noticed the difference. I cannot explain it from a physical perspective and perhaps there are those on the Forum who can, but it's a different sound. If we as musicians wish to create the best sound, we must be willing to experiment even when it is opposed to conventional guitar pedagogy. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

franks59

Post by franks59 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 pm
Generally speaking, most melodies are played i-m whether tirando or apoyando. So, the next time you are looking for a big, fat sound in a melody line and are unhappy with the results of the i-m approach, try using m-a. I believe the majority of players will get a bigger sound. It seems, to me, that the slight shifting of the angle of the fingers is responsible. What do you think? Playing again . . . Rognvald
I have noticed this myself in the past. Not sure of the reason.
I had attributed it to the fingers being bigger therefore stronger, or more matched in size than i-m, but I really have no idea why.

Frank

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 pm

I find the same, but put it down problems with my i fingernail that have always plagued me.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”