Tarrega-Caprichio Arabe

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Tarrega-Caprichio Arabe

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Looking at this music ( arr Delcamp ) it would seem its played in dropped D ? Would there normally be any indication a score was dropped tuning ? I just started looking and thought hey whats that down there ! - a low D.( plus is starts on a 7 fret harmonic on d,a,d )

So if the D us dropped - then all the othe notes on the D string would be in different positions ? that seems very confusing. Or are they written to be played as normal ( but are actually lower - like violin weird tunings - Biber etc ) Or are they written as stave - ie a G means a G !

Not going to be playing this just yet I think - just gazing up at distant mountain peaks !

edit - Ahh I see ( eyesight ! ) a circle = 6 Re. Not used to D being called re ! Anyway - my 2nd question still stands. Given the D is dropped - are the other D string notes marked 'as normal' - but actually sound lower ?

astro64

Re: Tarrega-Caprichio Arabe

Post by astro64 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:02 am

Every note will still be written at its actual pitch value, so you need to adjust every note played on that string since it will have moved from its former location. Only for pieces where many strings are tuned differently there may be a version with a separate score that pretends the strings were not detuned so you can more easily find where the notes should be played. That is e.g. the case for a piece like Koyunbaba.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Perhaps it helps to think of the actual D string. Your 6th is now an octave lower than that. So low E is on the 2nd fret, just like first-line E is on the 2nd fret of the 4th string. In other words, tuning is exactly "as written". So yep, position of notes is 2 frets higher. (Which is why it might help to think of your D or 4th string.) It's such a common tuning you'll get used to it very quickly!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks - sort of figures - if the low D is actually shown at its proper stave position. I have today managed to finger the first 16 bars - its a good practice for where those notes are up there ! Its also a very tempting piece - those first drop of notes to the two chords - so nice.
Just trying to sight read it is education for me. One day !
I see why its titled 'Arabe' - very moorish ( pun )

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

I think one should also try and look at Julia Florida (Barrios Mangore).It's much slower than "Caprice" and you get a chance to slowly get used to the unfamiliar change on the 6th.Time permitting of course.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”