Okay for Left Hand Palm to Touch Guitar Neck?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
4freeman

Re: Okay for Left Hand Palm to Touch Guitar Neck?

Post by 4freeman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:11 am

I play electric, steel string and classical and just try to play them the same more jazz like than classical.How important is hand neck position in actually playing the music??/

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 pm

4freeman wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:11 am
I play electric, steel string and classical and just try to play them the same more jazz like than classical.How important is hand neck position in actually playing the music??/
The position of the neck when playing a wider necked classical guitar is to allow better right hand position for best tonal quality and allow the left hand to finger individual notes without muting adjacent strings. People differ in the proportions of their body parts with respect to the guitar they are playing and each player has to find the right balance in positioning the instrument.
When I want the music to be fluid and beautiful, I have to accommodate my right by raising the neck, and I have to have the default position of a straight left wrist for best left hand access to the fingerboard, especially for strings 5 and 6. The OP mentioned that there were delays in the music because supporting the neck with the left hand index finger joint slowed down the change in position. So for the music to be what he wished it to be, he came here to ask if it was this aspect of his technique that was the problem. Technique is always in service to the music.
What you might hear in the music or want to hear may be different from what I hear. For me, the tonal quality and clarity of the notes is a very important part of the music. This means that the choices I make in how I apply technique are being evaluated against that standard. You might be able to get the note quality you want without changing anything about your technique from electric guitar to classical guitar, or it may be that for you, tonal quality isn’t as important as some other aspect of the music. In any case, we each decide how we want to sound when we express ourselves musically and ask others how to achieve what we are after if we cannot find our way on our own.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am

Try playing a common D major chord without your first finger. Use 2, 3, and 4 instead. You just may discover an optimum position. It is hard to tell from only a post, but it was worth a shot...lol

But to answer your question, I don't think it has anything to do with playing musically. It is more about being able to reach all of the notes...lol So much of what we do requires being in, for lack of a better phrase...an extended position...with the left hand. I call it "a default position." There is a very good chance that you find it when you play the D chord as I prescribed. It has been my experience that good players of other styles have no problems with some of those most difficult left hand work. It is the easier stuff that gets them in trouble.
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)
http://www.toddtipton.com

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”