How important is neck postion

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
4freeman

How important is neck postion

Post by 4freeman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 pm

How important is neck position in guitar playing. I have a shoulder injury and tend to keep my neck more regular style vs. classical guitar style. Meaning I don't put the guitar diagonally from my body I tend to play it more horizontal. I make it up with large fingers and cutting my nails close to skin on my fretting hand.

As the difficulty of my pieces increases do u think this will affect my playing???

For a reference I play more jazz ted greee style position.

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Re: How important is neck postion

Post by Todd Tipton » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Here is the way I look at it: do what is most comfortable. In my opinion, Aaron Shearer writes very well on the subject in his LTCG. Basically, every different way we can adjust a guitar is a compromise between the left and the right hand. In effect, we find a compromise. However, this compromise doesn't take into account other factors such as a shoulder injury. That may need to be part of the equation in finding the compromise. It really isn't possible to evaluate in written form. If you wanted, I'd be happy to take a look via Skype sometime. :-)

all the best,

Todd
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)
http://www.toddtipton.com

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm

4Freeman,

I have just the opposite problem. My shoulder arthritis makes a high neck position mandatory. In the end, it doesn't really matter how you hold it if you are satisfied with the results and you are relaxed during the process. I wonder what kind of advice Paul Galbraith got when he was starting out. He made his position work for him. Very personal choice.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

richtm

Post by richtm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:48 pm

:contrat: The classical position (incl neck position) is just to make the maximum out of you and your guitar.
If you reach the same result with an other position it's fine. However I see certain restrictions out of limitations such as health problems.
But I asked similar things to players such as Aniello Desiderio. And he answered me this question in the same manner. The guitar position is individual and should just maximize the players capabilities. Also the verticle ancle in relation to the trunk we choose to make as much easy possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”