Stretching Exercises Given To Me By John Williams

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Eric Dalles

Re: Stretching Exercises Given To Me By John Williams

Post by Eric Dalles » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you for sharing this exercise from John Williams. Very interesting to vary the daily practice. In the 4th Abel Carlevaro's Technique Book, more precisely in pages 46 and 47, there are some left hand exercises like this one from John Williams.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm
In the 4th Abel Carlevaro's Technique Book, more precisely in pages 46 and 47, there are some left hand exercises like this one from John Williams.
That's quite fascinating, Eric!
I used Carlevaro's notes when doing the Villa-Lobos Twelve Etudes. He is quite illuminating. I'll try tommorow to see if the book you mention can be perused on line. Thank you so much!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am

I think it's quite easy to find the books from Carlevaro in PDF format elsewhere in Internet. And this notes about Villa-Lobos etudes are so wonderful. There's also a book from Carlevaro of the same format from these from Villa Lobos that deals with the 20 Sorry/Segovia Etudes. It''s all part of a Serie called "Guitar Masterclasses". It's also interesting to say that those books from this Serie are one of the few in "pedagogical" guitar literature that give a few examples of how to build exercises from passages of real pieces to solve its difficulties. I don't know if Carlevaro is so we'll known and used there in South America. Is it?

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am
I think it's quite easy to find the books from Carlevaro in PDF format elsewhere in Internet.
Yes, I found it ; thank you for that. I had not come across these before, they are fantastic. Much enjoyed the fixed fingers series - one copied below - (much superior to those given by Scott Tennant). Not only are they particularly good for working on fingertip-precision (a much neglected area - there should be a workout-guitar WITHOUT frets : we'd soon learn to be more precise!) but they all produce some interesingly unusual intervals. The ones you mention are also great, not necessarily that "stretchy" but really good for co-ordination : there are times one gets confused, not knowing which finger one is lifting anymore!
P.S. I note you are fom Brazil ; a compatriot of yours is currently being trained at the RAM on a sholarship from Brazil. He is part of a very small and highly talented group.
CARLEVARO - Book 4 - Ex. 106.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah. I remember that, for my hand, they where quite hard at the beginning. To do they on first positions was impossible rs. But then they became not that hard and very good for warming up also. NowadaysI like to mix the 3 note and the 4 note pattern in on single version to save time and to increase the difficult a little. I like also the final exercises of this 4th Book. I remember they were almost impossible for me at the beginning. Very advanced independence work.

And Carlevaro for sure goes further than Tennant in terms of variety (the Book 3 is all about Left Hand shifting! One entirely book fort just that technical issue!).
But I guess Tennant is more condensed and practical. He gives a little of everything in a so direct approach. Students tend to like more Pumpying Nylon. Two great authors by the way. I like very much also the Hubert Käppel's technique book. It's really a Bible of guitar technique.

And yeah, I'm from Rio de Janeiro. About RAM you should be talking about Plínio or Vitor Noah right? Great colleagues. We have been together in some festivals and competitions here in Brazil. They both are studying there at the moment, one at the bachelor and the and the other in the master course.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm
I like very much also the Hubert Käppel's technique book. It's really a Bible of guitar technique.
Hubert Käppel came to the London Guitar Festival last year and was promoting his new book (which I have not seen yet). He was "starring" with Ana Vidovic. She gave a stunning concert at the end.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am
There's also a book from Carlevaro of the same format from these from Villa Lobos that deals with the 20 Sorry/Segovia Etudes.
Eric Dalles wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm
About RAM
Wondered what the 20 "Sorry/Segovia Etudes" might be! I trust you mean the Sor/Segovia Etudes. An interesting Freudian slip there! By the way, I don't studty at the RAM, my study days are far behind!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Hahahahaha cruel cellphone corrector! It never forgives!

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:37 pm
It never forgives!
Somewhat like the guitar!

dach

Post by dach » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you for uploading. I can't wait to give it a try.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:51 pm

dach wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm
I can't wait to give it a try.
Excellent! If you mean ALL the exercises above, remember to make charts, and not ever to over-strain. Also, seek out the Pujol Escuela Razonada (on line) Book 3, Ex. 187 to 206 : some of them are murder, but they do make things seem so easy ... ... eventually!

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm

To add on from the “stretching exercises” above :

It has been intriguing to observe that the above exercises, as well as the LH workouts by Aguado, Tarrega, and Pujol - mastered though they may have been - have not fully prepared those who attempt to study Segovia’s Daily Study “Oracion - Por el alma de Manuel Ponce”, especially when it comes to the following bar :
Oracion - tricky bar.jpg
where Segovia has been VERY clear with markings and fingerings : the initial C# in the bass must be held for a full minim, and every single note thereafter has been specifically fingered.
As this is a study, there is no question that those directions must be adhered to, as they are designed to stretch the student, probably beyond anything they may have encountered. To sustain that bass C# while fingering the C natural with finger 2 is particularly challenging, although not for those who have no problem playing I- V7 - V- V7 – I in C# Major!
These reflections may add fuel to the Topic “Segovia’s Remembranza” in Guitar Classes. In that score, Segovia is also very specific ; many thought that some of his specified long notes might be ignored because they were too difficult to sustain ; ditto with the Topic “Are You a Slave to the Score” ... Where Segovia is concerned, the conjunction of idiosyncratic notation compounded by distinctly accurate fingerings definitely suggests that one should conform to the author’s intentions which are abundantly clear ... and if you find it rather tough, as John Williams put it during one of his Australian masterclasses : “You’ll just have to sweat it out!”
For those who might like to attempt working on the little masterpiece that is “Oracion”, the following adapted exercise may be of help for the bar featured above ; be sure ALWAYS to finger the C natural in the treble with finger 2 (start at MM 60 and build up to MM 120) :
Oracion - Exercise.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chelson

Post by chelson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 am

Thank you very much for all the sharing. Truly appreciate them, and more practice for me.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 am

Excellent thread. Much appreciated!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”