Upper Register Vibrato During Warmup

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Upper Register Vibrato During Warmup

Post by Rognvald » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 am

Many CG's limit their repertoire to select pieces and play mostly in the middle range of the guitar. Mastery of an instrument requires facility in all registers and there is a good litmus test to see how much control you have in the upper register. Begin in the 10th position playing ascending scales beginning with the 5th and 6th strings using a slow controlled vibrato for each note as you climb. Then, determine on which ascending note the vibrato fails and inconsistency and poor tonal quality result. Go back and focus at that point and see how long it takes(days, weeks, etc) before you have mastered proficient control on that note and then to the top of the scale. It is a good warmup that will develop coordination, control and confidence in the upper register. Try it and give us some feedback. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Henny

Re: Upper Register Vibrato During Warmup

Post by Henny » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello Rognvald,
Thanks for this good suggestion.
knowing the quality one's guitar and at the same time the quality of the vibrato using scales seems
a good exercise to me. i will try it out.
Henny

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Henny wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 pm
Hello Rognvald,
Thanks for this good suggestion.
knowing the quality one's guitar and at the same time the quality of the vibrato using scales seems
a good exercise to me. i will try it out.
Henny

Henny,
After a short time, you will notice much better left-hand control which will translate into your playing in the lower registers as well. Also, when I mentioned the 5th and 6th strings, I meant starting with scales beginning on the 6th string 10th fret and then playing scales beginning with the root note of the 5th string 10th fret to the end of the fingerboard. Thanks for your feedback!
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 pm

This sounds like a good exercise—I will definitely be trying it. Just to clarify a bit further on the scales, is it like for instance a D major scale starting at the 10th fret on E and going across the strings for two octaves to the high d? And then followed by a scale on the A string, but all on that one string?
- Donnie

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 pm

ashworth wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 pm
This sounds like a good exercise—I will definitely be trying it. Just to clarify a bit further on the scales, is it like for instance a D major scale starting at the 10th fret on E and going across the strings for two octaves to the high d? And then followed by a scale on the A string, but all on that one string?
Donnie,
Start at 6th string 10th position and play: D/second finger, E/4th finger then 5th string:F#/1st finger,G/2nd finger, A/4th finger then 4th
string: B/1st finger, C#/3rd finger, D/4th finger, E/1st finger/F#/3rd finger, G/4th finger, A/4th finger, and reverse. It usually gets sloppy on
the 4th string E(fret 14) and higher. Then, repeat the process and begin your scale this time on the 5th String 10th position G and play the
same scale pattern up the neck. With a little practice, you will be surprised how quickly you'll get a good sound and vibrato. Remember,
practice very slowly and concentrate on each note to get a good clean sound. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks, Rognvald!
- Donnie

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”