Segovia and Jazz Scales

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
PeteJ

Segovia and Jazz Scales

Post by PeteJ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

At the start of my CG adventure I learned scales the Segovia way. Later I found that these fingerings are not very useful in jazz/rock. Are there any jazz players here who could recommend a Segovia-like collection of basic scales relevant to jazz imrov? (Not a book on jazz but just a set of scales for regular practice). Thanks.

RobMacKillop

Re: Segovia and Jazz Scales

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Check out the Jimmy Bruno book on scales, I think it's called Six Essential Fingerings. Many jazz guitarists recommend it.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Pete,
I'm going to suggest something with which some might differ but it has been my approach to scales(Jazz and Classical) that work for me(beyond the Segovia scales) and allows me to get intimate with all strings and positions on the guitar. Start with any string(easier with low E initially) and play scales starting with the 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th finger left hand as the starting point and get a sense of the patterns you are creating. Experiment with fingerings and positions and adjust accordingly. Some will not be logical ie;) 4th finger/1st-3rd position but begin at 4th position/4th finger and create 1-6 string scales. For example: Play an A flat major scale on low E/A string only starting with the 4th finger/4th position, then E,A and D strings etc and find the patterns that are logical and comfortable to you. Always go to the highest note possible on the neck in every pattern. Not only will you develop fluency but wherever you're at in a song, you'll be able to play around the scale. You can do the same thing with chords playing major, minor, augmented, diminished and all the possibilities. I suppose you can "learn" to play Jazz as they have been teaching in the universities for the last 40 plus years but, in most cases, they are producing music machines rather than musicians. You have to become intimate with your instrument. Then you have to learn to play songs. Then it's up to you what grows from there. I have a respectable "on the job" background in Music theory and composition but the magic happens when you play. And, the greatest moments happen during a gig when you're feeding off the other musicians in an ensemble or even from yourself when the Muses call. Music is an Art, not a Science and you can hear a scientist within the first few bars of whatever he/she plays. Here's a little tasty treat after too much talk. Enjoy . . . Rognvald
https://youtu.be/0Q8ZV6Ppw-c
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The Bruno approach goes against the grain with me but I'll look into it some more. Good advice from Rognvald also. I was wondering if there is a jazz equivalent to the Segovia scale-book that just runs through various scales and fingerings, not so much a tutor or method but just typical ways of playing the scales.

Very much agree about being able to play scales starting from different scale-steps and positions. I could usefully practice this for ten years.

Smith

Post by Smith » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I have a pretty cool book I found used called
Complete Chords And Progressions - For All Instruments by Bugs Bower (Charles Colin, New York, 1952)

It’s cool because it is like a regular scale book except all the chords are already broken down in to various scales.

There the usual major and minor and whole tone scales.
Then there is the whole gamut (in all keys) of augmented scales, dom 7 scales, dim 7 scales, min 6 with added 9th scales.

Looks fun but I’ve never played through it, but now I will look at it since you brought it up. Thx.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks. I'll check it out.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Pete,

Once upon a time, my electric guitar teacher learned me the scales on one simple rule: 3 notes on every string - no open strings.

You can even found these out yourself. These few "modes" that are created are repeatable, and you can easily later improvise on them, or play exercises on like: 1,2,3, 2,3,4, 3,4,5 ... etc or 1234, 2345, 3456 ... etc, up and down the fretboard. Very good basis!

hope you find this helpful ! :casque: :bye:
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Good thought, thanks.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Hmm. Maybe the book I'm thinking of doesn't exist.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”