Segovia and Jazz Scales

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
FrankBlack

Re: Segovia and Jazz Scales

Post by FrankBlack » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

I'd recommend a search for "matt warnock" "complete guide to jazz guitar scales". Matt is a working musician, a veteran teacher and a Phd. holder in Jazz Performance. He has all the tools for such things and many items on his web site are free. Hope that helps.

Andrew Barrett

Post by Andrew Barrett » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 am

In terms of scales beyond major/minor Charles Duncan outlines possible fingerings in The Art of Classical Guitar Playing and Classical Guitar 2000

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Check out Rich Cochrane's book: Arpeggio and Scale Resources, A Guitar Encyclopedia.

It's free to download from his website and covers pretty much every possible scale you might want. He mostly uses the CAGED system, but adapting the scales to 3nps or whatever other positional or diagonal system you want is pretty straightforward.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out these three recommendations.

PS. Done. They all look good. I'd go for Matt Warnock's book but it''s not printed and I don't want an ebook. I've ordered one of the others on amazon.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Andrew Barrett wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 am
In terms of scales beyond major/minor Charles Duncan outlines possible fingerings in The Art of Classical Guitar Playing and Classical Guitar 2000
I ordered the first one on Thursday and received it on Saturday. By the end of the day my playing was already a lot better. It's a fabulous book! I've been playing fro decades, had many lessons years ago, studied music at Uni and used to teach (poorly) for a living, and this book has taught me more in a day than I would have thought possible.

I''ve always had tone and nail problems as well as RH insecurity when performing and not much in the way of speed. Just a day with this book and my tone is more authoritative, my RH feels more secure, my tremolo is (at last!) not prone to clumsy errors and, just as the author says, his method brings with it greater psychological security, less string noise, far fewer errors, better legato and a musical tone. It's going to transform my playing over the next month or two. Why didn't i read something like this decades ago? Why didn't anyone tell me this stuff long ago when I was taking the instrument seriously?

Many thanks for the recommendation, Andrew. I'd highly recommended this book to guitarists everywhere and might start a thread to do so.

For years I've wondered why I cannot achieve a tone and attack that matches my playing, which is not too bad, and never seem to be able to get my nails right. At last I see how to do it. Hell, forty years playing and I only just learned how to play one single note. It's quite exciting since everything I play suddenly got better at once with just an hour or two of work, and should go on doing so.

It isn't the scale book I was looking for but much more useful.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Pete, you may be seeking a "guitar pill". Leavitt's work also explores whose-tone and diminished scales, lays out modes, and is detailed in explaining which scales go with which chords, but it's a 3-volume work, which includes exhaustive arpeggio studies, reading and chord work, and theory. I know of no one book that will provide you with the magic key to scales, though.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am
Hi Pete,

Once upon a time, my electric guitar teacher learned me the scales on one simple rule: 3 notes on every string - no open strings.

You can even found these out yourself. These few "modes" that are created are repeatable, and you can easily later improvise ......
This guy is probably right. The toughest thing about playing jazz guitar is the pick crossing. The guitar does not lend itself to unplanned performance. There is a really good player on youtube who demonstrates triad pairs technique on the guitar. He said it took him six months to get it down, but if he were a pianist he could have done it in a day. Again, it's a picking problem. Even a pattern as simple C,E,D,F,E,G,F,A....... is not easy on the guitar. Of course you might use Pi or Pm instead of a pick. I know a guy who invented a flat pick that had a rubber band going through it. He could flat pick or finger pick at will.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”