Andres Segovia

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ddray

Re: Andres Segovia

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Philip Conrad wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 pm
Forget your finger judgement, and your painful schoolboy criticisms. You are not there to listen to the guitar, or the piano, or whatever. You are there to listen to music.
Exactly, well put.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Sean wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm
But I do believe Segovia was quite possibly the most important guitarist of any age, and without realizing the many, many accomplishments he made, our classical guitar world would be a strikingly different place.

just my 2 cents . . .

sean
We use nylon strings most of the time instead of gut and silk thanks to Segovia pushing for nylon strings.

John

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am

I'm sure you could find gut and silk strings somewhere in the world if you detest nylons.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 pm

When I was first introduced to the classical guitar with a short lesson 50 years ago, the teacher told me that Segovia was a good player, but in 20 years he will be looked on as just ordinary. He was correct

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Sorry, I just can't agree with that.

To my ear, for quality and variety of tone, expressiveness, musicality, and for just plain making sounds that draw your attention, Segovia remains extraordinary.

He may come up slightly short in terms of pure technique when compared to the young hot shots of today, but he had more than enough to allow him to so successfully convey his musical ideas and expression.

In what way do you think he was an ordinary player?

TKO

Post by TKO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 am

I think his teacher meant that in 20 years there will be more guitar players, which will be seen more (technically) proficient, popular, better tonally etc. This disregards his enormous contribution to the classical guitar as a whole, but i see the point.

When something becomes popular, the pioneers will sooner or later be "forgotten" as such and compared to players way after their own time without any context to time, overall situation of the instrument etc. People's memories are short and there already are few generations after Segovia who never witnessed him at the height of his fame and can evaluate his playing and tone from old recordings and youtube videos.

An apt comparison would be Jimi Hendrix - someone could argue that any modern shredder can be technically more proficient and faster than him, but before him there were no (electric) guitar heroes. And the things he did with feedback are copied to this day, similar to the techniques Segovia used and made popular.

To me when someone talks about Classical Guitar, the first player that comes to mind is Segovia. Immediately after that there's Williams, Bream etc. but more or less Segovia still is "Mr. Classical Guitar" (like Chet Atkins is Mr. Guitar ;))

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:57 am

I see what you mean, and apologies if I was too quick to respond.

But I still think just saying 'ordinary' gives a misleading impression that it's all aspects that are being described rather than just pure technique. It also detracts from what is the most important aspect - the ability to make music. And, as with Hendrix, very few have reached similar heights or come close. Others being more technically able is almost a 'so what'.

Frousse

Re:

Post by Frousse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Segovia is not my favorite performer, but he is definitely in my top three. There is something magical about his tone and the emotions he conveys in his playing, which no other guitarist, in my opinion, has duplicated.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 pm

you tube Segovia Capricho Diabolico, Op.85

One of my favorite pieces by Segovia.
Very expressive and poetic with amazing tone colors,
though some may think it's too "overcooked" and stylized.
For better and worse, that's Segovia.

GuitarB

Post by GuitarB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I just feel like sometimes Segovia played a little too slow in pieces that require some speed, like asturias for instance.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 pm

If Tarrega or Sor or Giuliani or Carcassi had as many LPs as Segovia, we'd be ragging on them instead in these forums.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:52 pm

To quote Eliot Fisk concerning Segovia: ". . . but on the other hand, who among us has done as much as he did? Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up."

-Classical Guitarists: Conversations by Jim Tosone, page 50.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”