What are the essential classical guitar studies?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
wutzeshen

What are the essential classical guitar studies?

Post by wutzeshen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:52 am

Hi all,

I understand from my guitar instructor that 20 Fernando Sor etudes selected by Andrea Segovia is very essential for building up technique. Are there are any other etudes which European guitarists commonly use in their conservatory studies?
Thanks.

:)

Vesuvio

Re: What are the essential classical guitar studies?

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:17 am

Hello Wutzeshen,

Welcome to the forum!

The 20 Sor studies are very good and you can obtain the whole set from the forum's collection of scores. You need to subscribe to the 002, 020, 040 and 060 Messages Groups as your posts grow so that you can have access to the PDF, MP3 and video music collections.

Our members are very friendly so do feel free to join any discussions that are of interest to you and to start new ones. If you need any help finding your way around, please ask.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

reentune

Post by reentune » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 am

Carcassi
Brouwer
Giuliani
Carulli
Villa-Lobos
Carlevaro
Aguado
Sor

All these composers have superior etudes for classical guitar.
I especially love the Villa-Lobos, Carlevaro, and Brouwer studies.
Very 20th-century!
I really only speak and understand English, but I know a little Spanish and even less German and Italian.

beachcomber

Post by beachcomber » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:06 pm

There is an immense amount of "study" type material in the classical repertoire, especially by Carcassi, Giuliani, Carulli and Sor. Some key collections are:
Giuliani Studies Op. 48 (important)
Carcassi Caprices Op 26 (important)
Carcassi Melodic and Progressive Studies Op. 60 (important)
Carulli 24 Preludes Op. 114
Sor - Segovia collection
Tarrega - studies (not the entire works but you can find collections of the most important)

For modern studies there is
Bouwer Estudios Sencillos
Villa Llobos 12 studies
Quine/Dodgeson studies (good for modern textures but you may not find these musically rewarding)

For baroque and early music studies for specific didactic purposes was not the fashion. Pieces for learners were described as "easy".
One anthology is entitled: easy pieces from Shakespeare's Time.
Your best bet here is to look for graded anthologies. For example: An Anthology of Lute Music for Guitar, 41 pieces arranged by Ian Gammie (NMS).
Collections of pieces by Gaspar Sanz.

Hope this helps

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Good suggestions. But I don't see why the Segovia's 20 Sor studies is always referred to. In my opinion the collection has nothing special, Segovia just chose the studies he liked to play, there is no real pedagocical approach in that set. Besides that, the fingerings are Segovia's, tempo indications differ, and there are even some changed notes based on Segovia's own musical taste. In the past there weren't many alternatives, the facsimiles were not available in internet and there weren't any complete set published, but that's history now.

Instead of the Segovia's collection, I'd recommend either the new Chanterelle edition (ECH491) or the older Tecla edition of Sor's complete studies. I have the Chanterelle edition, and it's just great. There is a preface written by Matanya Ophee, and playing suggestions by Richard Savino. The total number of pieces is over 100, and there are many more gems than just the 20 selected by Segovia. All pieces have both the original fingerings and suggested changes by Savino. Lot's of excellent little studies, and many of them rarely played!

Just my two cents

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

bernie

Post by bernie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 pm

beachcomber wrote:There is an immense amount of "study" type material in the classical repertoire, especially by Carcassi, Giuliani, Carulli and Sor
It is not easy to select from this important repertoire. I guess that each CG syllabus make its own selection for the various grades. Is it a good idea to select here and there from what is available or should someone stick to a program to progress in an effective way?

DanieleMagli

Post by DanieleMagli » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Carulli
Giuliani
Carcassi
Aguado
Castelnuovo-Tedesco ( Appunti Op.210 , Preludi and Studies )
Sor ( Op. 44,60,31,35,6,29 .... )
Paganini ( Ghiribizzi )
Tarrega
Legnani ( 36 Capricci op. 20 )
Villa-Lobos ( 12 Studies )
Gilardino ( Studi di Virtuosità e trascendenza )

... Visit my free web site , thank you

bernie

Post by bernie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 am

To Dianele Magli:

Thanks you have a great site, I really enjoyed and I will come back to visit again.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:28 pm

jounis wrote: I don't see why the Segovia's 20 Sor studies is always referred to. In my opinion the collection has nothing special, Segovia just chose the studies he liked to play, there is no real pedagocical approach in that set.
Interesting thinking. I always understood Segovia selected the 20 because of their pedagogical value

Alan

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Alan Green wrote:
jounis wrote: I don't see why the Segovia's 20 Sor studies is always referred to. In my opinion the collection has nothing special, Segovia just chose the studies he liked to play, there is no real pedagocical approach in that set.
Interesting thinking. I always understood Segovia selected the 20 because of their pedagogical value

Alan
I urge you to invest to the Chanterelle edition, read through the prefaces and performance notes, including the two different grading suggestions (one by Savino and the other by 1997 Syllabus of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, London) for the pieces (it even includes a table that compares the tempo indications between original, Segovia and Saint de la Maza editions), play the pieces and try the fingerings, taking account the more recent ideas of how the music should be played, and then compare it to the Segovia 20 studies. I'm sure you get my point then. It's irrelevant what Segovia thought when he selected the pieces, the set just isn't on par with today's standards. There is SO much more available for us now.

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

Nikiforos

Post by Nikiforos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 pm

bernie wrote:To Dianele Magli:

Thanks you have a great site, I really enjoyed and I will come back to visit again.

Nikiforos

Post by Nikiforos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm

Hello, do you know any book that explains these etudies easily?
DanieleMagli wrote:Carulli
Giuliani
Carcassi
Aguado
Paganini ( Ghiribizzi )
Tarrega

DanieleMagli

Post by DanieleMagli » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Nikiforos wrote:Hello, do you know any book that explains these etudies easily?
DanieleMagli wrote:Carulli
Giuliani
Carcassi
Aguado
Paganini ( Ghiribizzi )
Tarrega

Hello, these studies are contained in many books.
I tried to summarize what should play a guitarist in the early
years of study (from Ferdinando Carulli to Nicolò Paganini), and what should play to a higher level ( from Francisco Tarrega to Angelo Gilardino ).

for example there is a great difference in level if you play Fernando Sor Op.60 or Fernando Sor Op.29
or if you play Mauro Giuliani 'Le Papillon' Op.50 or Sonata Op.15 of the same author

DanieleMagli

Post by DanieleMagli » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 pm

bernie wrote:To Dianele Magli:

Thank you !

rapid

Post by rapid » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:50 am

Mauro Giuliani 120 daily guitar studies for the right hand

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”