Sor, and loving it

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
PM

Sor, and loving it

Post by PM » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:25 pm

I love this man. He has given us so much. His genius is ubiquitous in his works. :wink:

Anyhow, his Op. 6 no.8 was my first inspiration over 30 years ago. One of the first things I learned and still work on. I am intrigued with the finger I recently found at Dirk's Guitar page (Segovia Study No. 1)

http://dirk.*** Site blocked for copyright reasons ***.free.fr/classical2.html

I can't decide which I like better. The one I started with or Dirks. The one I started with and have grown accustomed to uses open strings rather than second position frets.

Down in measure 26 Dirk goes with 3rd & 5th frets then fifth and 7th (C V). Measure 27 starts (CIII).

I like the ring that comes with 3rd, first and open E string then, F3 on 2nd fret open D on 4th string and begining measure 27 with G & B open strings in stead. I know that sounds complicated but if you look at Drik's tab and score you will see what I mean.

What think ye?

Evelyn

Re: Sor, and loving it

Post by Evelyn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:12 pm

PM wrote:I love this man. He has given us so much. His genius is ubiquitous in his works.
I agree whole-heartedly! I have been obsessed with Sor's studies now for months. It's all I want to do - one after another! And I've chosen my favorites to work up into (hopefully) performable solos. Several other pieces I was working on are launguishing until I get over this thing with Sr. Sor - but that may take a long, long time because I have that huge book by Mel Bay that has, I don't know, hundreds of pieces just waiting for me!

(Sorry... I'm not familiar with the piece you are talking about... yet!)

Evelyn

blominski

Post by blominski » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Nice to hear that Fernando is still alive among us :D
Last year I visited his final resting place at the cemetary in Mont-Martre and that really inspired me to play that man's music.
At the moment I'm learning the etude op.35 n°22 (Segovia n°5), this is allso the first piece that Julian Bream has played in public as a teenager.
By the way in masterpieces of the repertoire level 8-10 you'll find the 20 Segovia etudes from Sor.

My regards,

Bjorn.

PM

Post by PM » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Opus 60 No. 6 and Opus 60 No. 10 are pretty easy and fun to play. These are two of the many that I practice sight reading with. Just delightful little tunes that make me happy.

arran1810

Post by arran1810 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:00 am

I have worked on a number of Sor's studies. Lately I find myself trying to commit op.35 no. 22 (Segovia no. 5) to memory. It is a wonderful piece.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 pm

I love the Opus 6/8 study - so much going on in such a short piece.

I prefer to finger it in the way Dirk does, as the musical point of the piece requires strict attention to the length of time each note is allowed to ring. Its a lot easier to control this on stopped strings rather than open ones, even though it is slightly more difficult to play.

In fact, if you play measure 27 with open 2nd and 3rd strings, it is not possible to sustain the B for the two beats the phrase requires - it has to be done in third position as Dirk indicates. I don't use a barre there as its easier to stop the high G over-ringing by lifting the first finger than it is to try and damp it with the right hand.

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

PM

Post by PM » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 am

Martin wrote: I prefer to finger it in the way Dirk does, as the musical point of the piece requires strict attention to the length of time each note is allowed to ring.
Well ther you have it.

I have always had timing issues. I can't seem to count well especially when counting can vary in a piece. There is a term for that related to interpetation which I do not recall.

I think I will switch to Dirk's with more attention to the intended timing.

Many Thanks.

camytay

Post by camytay » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm

PM wrote:Sor, and loving it
The title of this thread gave me a giggle..

mark kolnes

Post by mark kolnes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Last semester at BSU I learned Sor's study #1 from Segovia's edition. It was by far the most beneficial piece I had learned to date. My playing over all has improved greatly from learning it. I have a mediocre recording of it on my site. One day I will revisit it and try and perfect it. I wondered if there was a better way of fingering measure 27, the way I play it now does not let the B ring as it should. Wow I've only been a member here for about twenty minutes and already I have learned something very useful. Thank you all.

PM

Post by PM » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Cam wrote:
PM wrote:Sor, and loving it
The title of this thread gave me a giggle..
HAH! Me too.

PM

Post by PM » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:23 pm

mark kolnes wrote: I have a mediocre recording of it on my site. One day I will revisit it and try and perfect it. .
I thougth a pretty nice job on that, Mike...Horizons also. Did you get the music for it at Steve Hackett's website? I have been working on that for years and I swear I cannot play it from start to finish without some shocking mistake. Evidently my talent is limited but I enjoy so much. I bet you would liek Stev Howe's Surface Tension.

Beautiful wife you have there.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:43 am

PM wrote:I love this man. He has given us so much. His genius is ubiquitous in his works. :wink:
I love Sor also. All his studies are wonderfull compositions even the easiest ones. What a gifted composer. He was able to make everything he wrote have musical value. Naxos has quite a few Sor CD at a bargin price that have most of the studies except for Opus 31. Those are a nice help when learning possible intrepretations.

Lane

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:04 am

Lane wrote:
PM wrote:I love Sor also. All his studies are wonderfull compositions even the easiest ones. What a gifted composer. He was able to make everything he wrote have musical value.
I couldn't agree with you more Lane. I feel he's brought more to CG than anyone else. When you first start out learning CG, you can't play Tarrega or Ableniz but you can make the guitar sing with Sor.

His pieces are great and I thank God we have them to play.

Hans

PS that's not a religious comment :mrgreen:
Classical Guitar rules!

mark kolnes

Post by mark kolnes » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:50 pm

PM wrote: I thougth a pretty nice job on that, Mike...Horizons also. Did you get the music for it at Steve Hackett's website? I have been working on that for years and I swear I cannot play it from start to finish without some shocking mistake. Evidently my talent is limited but I enjoy so much. I bet you would liek Stev Howe's Surface Tension.

Beautiful wife you have there.
Thank you PM, I don't remember where I got the score for Horizons, It could have been from his site. A friend has recently turned me on to S. Hackets solo efforts, I'll look up Surface Tension. Thank you for taking the time to look at my site.

Regards,
Mark

mpearo

Post by mpearo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:24 am

Methinks I have learned more in the last two months or so playing Sor exercises thanin the last year.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”