Carcassi Op.60 Sequence

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
2handband

Re: Carcassi Op.60 Sequence

Post by 2handband » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:36 pm

My advice: read through it and pick the ones you like. If your sight singing skills are unequal to the task there are roughly a zillion recordings of the entire opus on youtube that you can listen to. My thinking is that there is no reason to learn an entire opus of short pieces (especially when there are 25 of them) unless you love every single piece. Once you get to the point where you can tackle Carcassi op60 (which is an intermediate collection), there is absolutely no reason to learn any piece unless you you are passionate about it. The guitar repertoire is vast; whatever it is you are trying to master there will be a number of etudes by any number of composers at a suitable level that will do the same job. For instance if you are working on bringing out the melody in an arpeggio and you hate #3 (although I would find that hard to believe; it's a great piece) there will be lots more arpeggio studies on roughly the same level to choose from.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:26 pm

13 is certainly worth learning because you can change the right hand fingering - i,m. m,a. ami. Help in giving the 'a' finger a bit of a workout.
1 is only difficult if you play it at a fair speed. Even 1 can be played m,a or varied by using a lot of thumb, which is probably how Carcassi played it. 10 can be very hard if you play with too much tension in your left hand. I'm rather fond of 12.
Carcassi OP. 60 is a very good collection for intermediate guitarists.
Historicalguitars.

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Good advice for 13, and I'll try 10 and 12
Thanks

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am

Op.60 offers a great introduction to playing higher up the fingerboard. I play No 1 as a warm up almost every day. I also find the pieces enjoyable to play as they generally fit well under the fingers.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Briant thanks for the tip on 1; it's exactly what I need right now! I have a bunch of other Carcassi but now I'll start exploring opus 60.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:45 pm

No. 8 is interesting. Left hand slur study. Everyone seems to play bar 2 with slurs but in the Tecla edition the slurs are not included, it uses the open E. That makes it much easier, adding the slur puts the difficulty up a few notches, although it might be worth practicing it both ways. I've not played all the way through No.8 but i did practice that bar 2 with the slurs. I found that bar tough and it still needs yet more work.
Historicalguitars.

Briant

Post by Briant » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-T_jvdvDI&autoplay=1
Take a look at this instructional video by Marcin Dylla. Op60 no 7.
I have been playing this piece for years but after watching Marcin, he has given me many new ideas.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:31 am

Marcin is as musical as Bream, and a worthy successor. Like Edson Lopes, he can make any piece worthwhile. In fact, check out Lopes' Carcassi, he recorded ALL of Op. 60, and he sounds Segovian in inspiration and execution. Two keepers of the flame, for sure.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Briant

Post by Briant » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks Ronjazz. Edson lopes youtube videos are well worth viewing. A fine player who has been generous in recording these pieces as a benchmark for future students.

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Briant wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-T_jvdvDI&autoplay=1
Take a look at this instructional video by Marcin Dylla. Op60 no 7.
I have been playing this piece for years but after watching Marcin, he has given me many new ideas.
That's very useful.
Marcin Dylla describes as "not so good" the very mechanical manner in which I've been practicing this study for ever :mrgreen:
The way he phrases the various lines (which makes so much sense now that I hear it) turns my mechanical drill into real music
However, I didn't understand his idea of playing the tremolo as apim He's telling us to play p after a and before i ? :?:
I had never thought of inverting the A-F-A arpeggio to F-A-F on the second bar. That's great practice.
However, I personally don't think that damping the low E and the 2nd string B in bar 16 is musically necessary BUT it's an excellent practice for technique.

Finally, I'll never be able to play Carcassi #7 at THAT speed :(

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:06 pm

I have to use i.m on that tremolo. My no nails technique isn't up to using a,m,i. I need a lot more work on the 'a' finger to get anything like a tremolo, it's not too hot with i,m. either.
Historicalguitars.

Smith

Post by Smith » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 pm

I learned 3,4, and 6 at first. I still practise them.
Next I learned 19,5, and 1.
5 is a current favourite but they are all gems in their own way.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I've played through the whole opus in the past two days, and have reevaluated it a little. Learn all of them. In order. Religiously observe the rests.

GJW

Post by GJW » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm currently working on 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 13 and 17.

Just watched Dylla's Opus 60 No 7 and now i know why my edition is marked Allegro.... :oops:

Anyway, I use 1 as a warmup, 2 is nice to play. 3 is for my Grade 5, 6 is ok, 7 is nice even at the speed I play it (probably about half!), 13 is for Grade 6 and 17 is for Grade 7, (I think ahead..!), not sure how many others I'll attempt.
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 am

Simon Powis has a very good lesson on Op 60 No 16 here..

https://youtu.be/S11FQCCHwoQ

He talks about moving the main melody off the top E string and onto the b string and observing the rests (which no one really seems to do) and I think these two things really change and elevate the piece.
The video made me go and learn it this way.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”