Right *arm*: Rest on the bout or not...

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Mike Pick

Re: Right *arm*: Rest on the bout or not...

Postby Mike Pick » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:54 pm

What we all need is a "Stratocaster" type countour so our arms rest lightly nicely on the lower bout without trapping nerves, (if resting works for you).
If you don't know what a Strat is, you have not lived and should hear other types of guitar being played!

Is the main reason for resting not to stabilise the guitar? If you have an "unconventional" holding position that gives you stability, I see no reason to rest it there. Guitars are not like women as suggested by romantics, they can be a lot more uncomfortable! Sitting down in one position for long periods can also not be too good for certain bodily regions!

Stay relaxed, Mike

derrickstevenson

Postby derrickstevenson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 am

I never really thought about how much weight I had in the right arm until I bought a Dynarette cushion and noticed a lot of squeaking noises from my guitar being pushed down into it. I slowly started to lighten the weight of my right arm on the guitar. At the beginning I did notice a small amount of tension in my upper arm, or deltoid to be more exact, but nothing that made me worry, and it went away eventually. My approach was to apply just enough pressure to keep the guitar in position with the right arm and to try to hold more of the weight of the arm in my finger tips when playing. This was my goal and I probably put a bit more weight down in the arm than to just keep the guitar in position. I don´t know if this is a correct technique as I haven´t come across carrying the weight of your arm in your fingers in any CG book that I´ve read however I have notice that my right hand feels much more nimble, I can play arpeggios faster, it is much easier to change right hand positions, it´s easier to bring out individual voices in chords, more volume, better tone.

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am

Larry McDonald wrote: ...
Be sure that the arm is resting on the large muscle group and not in the crook of the elbow.

There is a significant positive effect to resting on this muscle group, which contains the digitorum extensor profundis, the large muscle that extends the fingers. Pressure at this point will help extend the fingers without active use of the muscle group. I think (and it's only my belief, and I'm no physician) that this impulse to extend the fingers, along with gravity, the relaxing of the intrinsic muscles of the hand, and the elasticity of the tendons themselves, is enough -and quick enough- to extend the fingers without the big digitorum extensor profundis being used.

Just trying to figure out the contact point that places the digitorum extensor profundis on the bout. Is it the middle part of the forearm close to the elbow crease, or is it the curved left side (looking at the forearm with palm facing the eyes). I can place the curved left part on the bout just fine -- even though the feel is different there's no visible difference.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Postby Larry McDonald » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Asturiasfan,

I was wrong in the above post, and my muscle labeling in the forearm is for squat. The extensor digitorum is on the top of the arm.
Nevertheless, completely relax the right-hand in your default position with the fingers in the curved mid-range flexion. With your left hand, press the underside of your right-arm just outside the elbow and work and inch or two towards the center of the fore arm. Some folks will feel a slight impulse to extend the fingers. Mine does, anyway.

I'm sorry for the error and the confusion,
Lare

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 am

Larry McDonald wrote:Hi Asturiasfan,

I was wrong in the above post, and my muscle labeling in the forearm is for squat. The extensor digitorum is on the top of the arm.
Nevertheless, completely relax the right-hand in your default position with the fingers in the curved mid-range flexion. With your left hand, press the underside of your right-arm just outside the elbow and work and inch or two towards the center of the fore arm. Some folks will feel a slight impulse to extend the fingers. Mine does, anyway.

I'm sorry for the error and the confusion,
Lare

Thank's Lare! I found the place you indicate, and for me its more than just an impulse. With forearm on table (palm up) I press it and my left hand pinky, annular, and middle fingers visibly extend outwards. The stopping point seems fairly consistent so the more curled my fingers are inwards, the greater the movement. My point is more to the left side with same orientation as before. In playing orientation it is of course more on the right side. I definitely feel the position is more comfortable than what I was doing.

JLNims

Postby JLNims » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Here we can see Galbraith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l56n0-kUqpM
And here my teacher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFGJfL3Md0
And we can notice the latter put the guitar more diagonally, obtaining more angle to RH attack. I would say I use even more angle than my teacher, but I am just adapting myself to this postition. I've been trying it for a few months, but I really decided to keep it a few weeks ago.

I've never seen this style. Incredible! His sound is amazing; but I don't hear any nails. Does he play nail-less; or very short nails?

-Jeff

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 pm

JLNims wrote:
Here we can see Galbraith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l56n0-kUqpM
And here my teacher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFGJfL3Md0
And we can notice the latter put the guitar more diagonally, obtaining more angle to RH attack. I would say I use even more angle than my teacher, but I am just adapting myself to this postition. I've been trying it for a few months, but I really decided to keep it a few weeks ago.

I've never seen this style. Incredible! His sound is amazing; but I don't hear any nails. Does he play nail-less; or very short nails?

-Jeff

Both players use short nails.

JLNims

Postby JLNims » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Both players use short nails.

Thank you!!

-Jeff

DevonBadger

Postby DevonBadger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm

John Kotopka wrote:Question on the right arm: What do people mean by resting the arm on the bout of the guitar? That is, how much "weight" is placed when resting this arm on the guitar?

And does letting the natural weight of the arm fall on the guitar have any effect on the sound and volume, as opposed to a more lighter touch?

I'm also thinking that the heavier the weight of the arm the more the bottom of the guitar is 'pushed' into the left leg. So is there a damping effect which reduces the volume?

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
John Kotopka wrote:Question on the right arm: What do people mean by resting the arm on the bout of the guitar? That is, how much "weight" is placed when resting this arm on the guitar?

And does letting the natural weight of the arm fall on the guitar have any effect on the sound and volume, as opposed to a more lighter touch?

I'm also thinking that the heavier the weight of the arm the more the bottom of the guitar is 'pushed' into the left leg. So is there a damping effect which reduces the volume?

This is quite an old thread, and John is no longer a member of the forum (if a username is in black, and you can't click on it, their membership has expired).

My experience is that just naturally resting your arm on the edge of the guitar doesn't have any effect on the sound - remember that the outer 8mm or so doesn't vibrate at all anyway (thickness of the ribs plus the linings).

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 am

Luis_Br wrote:
Kenny wrote:This might seem silly, but resting my arm in the guitar bothered my tendons so i got a sock and stuffed it with cotton. then i sewed each end in a way that i could use the sock as a bracelet close to the elbow . IT allows freedom of hand and the guitar bout doesnt bother me anymore :D.

It is a common accessory, check David Russell using it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMqCfKwH7kA
Here you will find one with a rigid part internally which, IMO, is even better, because the guitar corner bothers even less and the arm can slip very easily over it:
http://www.matepis.com.br/English/luva_armpad
I use the last one when I play in the "traditional" position and it is great.
It also protects the guitar against sweating...

I also use an old sock over the elbow to protect the guitar, but your idea of padding it with cotton is brilliant, as I have been experiencing a sore spot on the inner side of my right elbow. I suppose my technique must be poor, because I apply counter-pressure with the right arm to the bout of the guitar when playing difficult barres. Thanks for this easy to use tip! :merci:

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”