Your opinion about Kitharologus by R. Iznaola please.

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
guit-box

Re: Your opinion about Kitharologus by R. Iznaola please.

Post by guit-box » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote: Iznaola's tone changed dramatically during the 90s. The first time i saw him, it was very bright. It became quite full and round by about 1997, more in line with what the mainstream perceives as an "expressive" sound.
I would have seen him play in the early 1990s. A group of us guitar majors went together and I recall one of the grad students hated his playing because it was bright and at times brittle with tone thAt often broke up. Our teacher was more from the Segovia school and so many of us at that time felt his tone was unacceptable. In retrospect, I've come to appreciate that a brighter tone can facility faster playing and a clearer articulation were a dark tone can muddy the separation of fast notes. I don't remember the program, but it definitely had virtuosity in it, and Iznaola got the job done even if the tone was not what I cared for at the time.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

lagartija

Re: Your opinion about Kitharologus by R. Iznaola please.

Post by lagartija » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
guit-box wrote:
Dirck Nagy wrote:...(But to Iznaola's credit, some very very good players have been part of his studio. No GFA winners to the best of my knowledge, but that isnt everything!)
True, I don't doubt it, I'm just not that familiar with him and his students. I've attended one master class and performance. You make a good point, can you name some of his students who are very very good players?
Masa Ito
Jonathan Leathwood
Scott Sanchez
I second Scott Sanchez. He is a very clean player with a very nice tone. His concert playing is expressive and his preparation immaculate.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”