Best arpeggio studies/exercises?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
HrothgarZachachaeus

Best arpeggio studies/exercises?

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:00 am

Hello,

I would like to know what arpeggio exercises and studies you use and why you like them or find them useful. I'm specifically looking to develop pppima and other more complex patterns which involve consecutive strokes with p followed by various combinations of the i, m, and a fingers.
Cheers!
"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
-David St. Hubbins

dng

Re: Best arpeggio studies/exercises?

Post by dng » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:17 am

Mauro Giuliani op.48-5 ?
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 am

Not the conventional Giuliani:

Gnatalli estudo 7 (ppima, etc.)

Guerra-Peixe Preludio 1 (pimami etc.)

I like them due to their technical challenge, eg, my teacher taught me sort of a modified/light rest stroke for initial "p" on Gnatalli 7, in order to avoid having to lift the thumb for following string/note

When I began attempting the "pimami.." pattern of the Guerra-Peixe, I had huge problems in the beginning, now much much better. Challenging for me to also differentiate between the "p" in this study and other fingers playing arpeggio, the "p" is the melody and others should be light accompaniment (name he gave this piece is "Full moon" in Portuguese..).

I like these frankly because musically they are so far superior (in my view) to practicing the old stuff such as Giuliani. That doesn't hold my interest sufficiently.

Mike

HrothgarZachachaeus

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks dng and Mike. I have that Giuliani study in a book and I was always afraid to try it, but now I will. Mike, that is definitely stuff I was not aware of, so thanks especially for that! I agree that some of those 19th century etudes aren't as musically interesting as some of the more modern works - that's really what I was after with this post.

I use the light rest stroke for multiple notes with p in an arpeggio too - my problem has been that to maintain tempo I am planting m and a too early and damping notes that should be ringing.
-David St. Hubbins

dng

Post by dng » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:15 pm

hi,

there are 2 issues that you should be aware when you try the Mauro Giuliani op.48-5.

1- it's very tempting to play fast when you're not fluent with the piece yet...and get bad habit out of it. So... go slow for a while then go with a metronome to increase speed. Watch some YouTube but do not attempt to go as fast as they do...

2- the squeaky sound generated by the left hand. This is where going slow in the beginning give a big benefit. Try to lift slightly the left hand fingers when you move them up and down the fret board. It will create a habit and then there will be no squeaky sound at all...

good luck
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

HrothgarZachachaeus

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 am

Cheers dng, I will definitely try to get the most out of the Giuliani piece by going slow. Fortunately I have a great teacher who, although I haven't had a lesson in a while, ingrained the habit in me of lifting the lh fingers off of the bass strings very slightly before a shift while maintaining legato - certainly something that will always be a technical issue to work on! Thanks again for your advice. I'll post again on this thread eventually once I have made some progress.
-David St. Hubbins

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 am

Hi,

There are many etudes for the right-hand, Estudio Brilliante by Tarrega is one of my favorites.

Regardless of the studies that you choose, I would be sure to cultivate the full and sequential planting techniques, which eventually develop into to what Martha Masters calls, "The Instantaneous Plant". You can read about this in her recent -and marvelous- book.

If you are not already acquainted, you might want to check out a book by Richard Provost called "Classic Guitar Technique, Vol. 3 "Advanced Arpeggios".

All the best,
Larry McDonald

abetmesa

Post by abetmesa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:02 pm

You might want to try those arpeggio exercises from Abel Carlevaro's Cuaderno no. 2.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Welcome to Delcamp forum, abetmesa!
Perhaps you could take the time to introduce yourself to the forum here and get a true Delcamp welcome. To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page.

Once you have 2 posts, you will automatically be assigned to the 002 group which gives you access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all members' scores and also levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection. If this does not happen within 24 hours of your second post, please contact a moderator.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

edrus

Post by edrus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Have you played song with mostly arpeggio like the giuliani's? The carcassi' op.60 have few that worth looking into and played. So long that a song contained few techniques, I'll give it a try- really time saving.

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:41 pm

In addition to those mentioned i would add:

Tárrega Estudios 6 & 9, which have good musical content and merit slow deliberate study.

elindley

Post by elindley » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Giuliani's 120 Daily Guitar Studies for the Right Hand (Celesta Publishing Company) -- edited by Vladimir Bobri
--- I like this a lot

Miguel Abloniz's 50 Arpeggi Per La Mano Destra (Berben) -- Don't worry, the notes, both musical and words are in English too.

Mauro Giuliani -- Sonatina, op.71/no.1) -- this is so cool; gives you lots of arrpegios, is fairly easy, and you get to have fun while at it! :P

-- Edward
English | Fresno, California | Kenny Hill Signature Double Top | La Bella 2001 Concert Series Extra Hard Tension
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them." -- Richard Strauss

LVR

Post by LVR » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Brouwer Estudio Sencillo #6
Bach Prelude BWV 999
Villalobos Etude #1
And another vote for the Carlevaro and the Giuliani right hand studies.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

magno.bento

Post by magno.bento » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:40 pm

I am currently working on Abel Carlevaro's cuaderno 2 and Júlio Sagreras second lessons. The first one is for fingers independence and the second for melódic development.

[] s
Magno Bento

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 am

The middle section of Villa-Lobos prelude 2 is a great arpeggio workout with many fingering possibilities.

Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”