Learning the tremolo technique

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
guit-box

Re: Learning the tremolo technique

Postby guit-box » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:05 am

Youtube
Interesting tutorial on right hand and finger positioning for tremolo. Notice how he recommends angling the right hand (pronating the forearm) so the "a" finger is at 90 deg and the i,m fingers are at a shallower angle 70-80 degrees.
It's all true, except for the stuff that's not.

Quique Castillo

Postby Quique Castillo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 pm

In my case the hardest part about tremolo has been lowering the nails clicking sound when I hit the string.

I have found out that shortening the nails and the angle the nails hit the string helps a lot.

Any other recommendation would be much appreciated.

Thanks and peace to everyone!

Quique

lennarton

Postby lennarton » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Practice different combination of a-m-i , a - i - m , i - m - a , i - a - m , and m -i - a, m - a -i and dont be afraid to use a "bit" of force - loud and clear, and start very slowly.
LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Islam Hassan

Postby Islam Hassan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:33 am

I am still struggling with the tremolo technique for awhile ,but I still play in a slow speed . :/

Dmitry Nilov

Postby Dmitry Nilov » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:07 pm

guit-box wrote:
Youtube
Interesting tutorial on right hand and finger positioning for tremolo. Notice how he recommends angling the right hand (pronating the forearm) so the "a" finger is at 90 deg and the i,m fingers are at a shallower angle 70-80 degrees.

Thank you for your appreciation of my clips! It's my pleasure to find them on the Delcamp forum.
For my part I would advise to play in such ways using a textile (e.g. a napkin) as a sordino (as it is shown here https://youtu.be/FFonrXl-Ibg?list=PLeLZ4o04uJjLmzhfVQj2TYAGfg5cF4hin). Consequently we reduce the range of strings' oscillation and increase their rigidity. This will allow us to focus on the playing tremolo technique only. To develop the strength and the independence of the right hand's fingers.

guit-box

Postby guit-box » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Dmitry, Yes, your ability to play tremolo with all the finger combinations is impressive. In this video, it appears that there is a subtle wrist adjustment that you do once per revolution (each pami). I can't tell exactly what it is, but it appears the wrist makes a rightward adjustment after the a finger plays. Can you comment about this?
It's all true, except for the stuff that's not.

Dmitry Nilov

Postby Dmitry Nilov » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Yes, sure! Thank you for your question.
It is connected with a "p" finger structure (it's almost straight) and with that I play a bass note apoyando. To provide more comfortable work of the "p" finger while playing apoyando I have to use also a wrist (very carefully and in minimum). This allows me to change the angle's attack of a string and to play a first bass note more distinctively.
When I play tirando, the wrist remains without a movement and only a stretch capacity between fingers "i" and "p" works.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”