Practice Fatigue

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Neptune

Re: Practice Fatigue

Post by Neptune » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 am

Brunot wrote:I always do pauses in my playing, depending on the difficulty of the repertoire I am playing. I make them very brisk, I grab a cup of cool water, relax my muscles then stretch them a bit and jump right back so I do not lose the momentum.
Love it!!!!

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Praeludium wrote:Begin playing what ? A third grade student piece or Carter's Changes ? (:

I just sat down this evening having, tuned to dropped d and played Danza Carecteristica by Leo Brouwer as my warm up.

no idea what the grade is......
Last edited by choctawchas on Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

danielryan

Post by danielryan » Mon May 07, 2012 4:05 am

Practice fatigue is rough. Limit your breaks. Make them shorter and shorter each time, so that eventually they will come to a length of time that does not significantly cut into your practice time. You more than likely already do this, but what I've found to be pretty effective is to repeatedly play whichever section of a piece I'm having trouble with until it is up to my standards each time through. Not only does it perfect the section, but it also makes it feel natural for my hands so that I feel less practice fatigue the next time I practice that song.

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 pm

I am planning to do 15m practice, 5m break with hot compress/water. About 3 sessions of this practice then a longer stop (with material researching but no guitar).

Iam wondering, am i overdoing ?, since its my second year and i cant be satisfied with 40m/day. Also i dont think i will have this amount of time to practice in near future.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm

rogerleec wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 pm
After practicing steady for a certain length of time, do you find yourself starting to make more mistakes instead of getting better?
For instance, after about an hour and fifteen minuites of practice I start makeing more and more mistakes :x I must put the guitar down and come
back a couple hours later and then do another session of practice.
I think that's true with anything. Muscle fatigue, loss of concentration, you get a little sloppy after awhile. I know some professionals that practice 5 06 hours a day, but a lot of breaks in between. The past month or so I've started breaking my session up. one in the morning and another in the afternoon. The length of the session is based on how I feel. Some days a session might last 2 hours other days 1/2 hour.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 am

Musicians are athletes. You cannot expect to practice over an hour if you have not conditioned yourself to do so. I always start with scales, LH/RH exercises and tremolo before I begin working on a piece. Once you hit muscle and/or mental fatigue, put the instrument down and take a break. However, there are times when either physically or psychologically it's not going to happen. Of course, practice imitates life. Tomorrow is another day . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

CactusWren

Post by CactusWren » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:45 am

Don't ever practice any section for more than 15 minutes. Yes, you will get fatigued, start making mistakes, and then go backward. It is counterproductive.

Better to take a short break and then work on something else. You will feel refreshed, and going over different material is more effective than hammering stuff you're already tired of.

You can practice as long as you want, as long as you take breaks and work on different things.

A lot of this is choosing the passage you're going to work on. If it's too long, an hour of practice won't be enough, if it's just right, then 10-15 is enough. You will have to come back to it the next few days.

Note, some particularly athletic passages/exercises are more strenuous and you should be more cautious about. Running 16th note scales at 144+ for 45 minutes is going to mess up your hands.

Robert Charles

Post by Robert Charles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Well, for what its worth, 45 minutes of concentrated playing is more than enough for me. If I have been working on tricky (for me) bits the duration is shorter. About that time my fingers begin to do stupid things. From some of the earlier posts it seems I play with too much tension in my body . . . maybe so.
Another angle, already mentioned as well, is that it is important to stop at these times or one will find oneself learning errors.
The brain (well, my brain) is a very tricky and sneaky acquirer of knowledge, especially when it comes to learned muscle movements.
When I start to feel weary I put the guitar down reverently and look for a cup of coffee. I used to get annoyed with myself and press on. I've learned not to do that.
Rob

Katoh MCG 200S (2016)
Yamaha G55 (1971)

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”