Sicily - Technical Classes

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Sicily - Technical Classes

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi,

Here are some videos of technical classes I gave in Sicily earlier this year.

As some of you up here may know I have been posting on this forum for a few years now and I try and help out when and where I can.

Alongside many of the nice comments people have left on my video posts there have been requests for technical help and possibly some videos on this subject.
I hope these offerings will satisfy those requests and give an insight into many of the principles I apply to technique.

Unfortunately I don't get as much time to be around the board these days but I always try and check in when I can and I will answer questions about topics covered in the videos but there may be the odd delay in my responses.

These technique sessions were filmed during a course of concerts, masterclasses and technique classes in Catania, Sicily earlier this month.
I am happy to upload them and I hope you will all find them useful in developing or improving your own playing technique.

Remember that these are films from live sessions where I am working with the players I have in front of me in the class. It is not a technique video made directly to camera.

I have seven of the videos ready below.

I hope you find them useful.

Matthew

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

If you would like to visit my Facebook Page and 'Like' it as a way of saying thanks then that would be nice! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-M ... 7781457081
Last edited by Matthew McAllister on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Sicily - Technical Classes

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 am

These are wonderful, as are all of your contributions to the forum, Matthew! :D

I enjoy listening to you speak almost as much as I enjoy listening to you play! I especially like the way you pronounce "stroke". :mrgreen:

Enjoy your time in Sicily. It must be beautiful there this time of year.

Looking forward to more videos! :merci:

Alan

Linda

Post by Linda » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 am

Hello Matthew,

Thank you so much for these videos. It is so nice of you to share your expertise in this way with everyone.

I'll give these exercises a try.

Thanks again,

linea
linea

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi,

I've just added part three.

This combines the two separate exercises for each hand that were the focus of the first two parts.

Matthew

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:00 pm

I have just added Part 4 which is talking about chromatic scales and many areas of technique we can explore with them.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I'll throw out another 'Thank You!', Matthew, and can I say that I really admire your playing? I hope this is not an over-generalization but I really appreciate the tempos you've chosen on some of the pieces I've seen. The ones that really speak to me seem to be done quite a bit slower than I have heard before. Your emotional connection always shines through. Thanks again.
Ken

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Thank you Matthew for those excellent lessons expertly delivered...love your accent.
i will incorporate them into my reg. exercises. :merci:

Sorry, but i don't use Facebook.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Matthew,
I haven't had time to watch all the videos yet, but I will in the next few days. Can I suggest to repeat these sessions as early morning exercises at the CGR?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 am

What a great resource! These videos--and their content--will be a great way to reinforce many of the technical principles I'm working to impart to my students. And it will (hopefully) carry more weight with them since I'm not the one telling them do their technical exercises!

In the "left hand only" video you referred to a previous day when you covered barre chords in the workshop. There is a recent thread here discussing this skill--and now that I have some students just beginning to learn this skill, I find it challenging to teach. By any chance, did you make a video of that portion of the workshop that you could post here?

Thank you so much for sharing!

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 am

I'm delighted that these are proving useful already, good news!

I have just put part 5 up.

It covers scales, especially descending examples, improving speed and alternating right hand correctly when string crossing.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 am

Robin wrote:What a great resource! These videos--and their content--will be a great way to reinforce many of the technical principles I'm working to impart to my students. And it will (hopefully) carry more weight with them since I'm not the one telling them do their technical exercises!

In the "left hand only" video you referred to a previous day when you covered barre chords in the workshop. There is a recent thread here discussing this skill--and now that I have some students just beginning to learn this skill, I find it challenging to teach. By any chance, did you make a video of that portion of the workshop that you could post here?

Thank you so much for sharing!

Robin
Thanks Robin, as you will see I have just put up part 6 which deals with the barre!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:30 pm

I have just added part 7 which deals with stretching the hand and improving the reach of the hand and fingers.

I hope that forum members are able to understand my Scottish accent!

If you listen close you should pick up some great tips,ideas and inspiration for improving technique.

As I said above if any questions come in about the various aspects covered I will try and answer them when time permits!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm

@Matthew, when I play a descending chromatic scale starting with 4, how can I prevent my pinky shooting up when I play 3? I know it should be hovering just above the string.
May I add that I really enjoy these videos?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:...I hope that forum members are able to understand my Scottish accent!
It is perfectly clear to me. :D
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm

I hear no accent at all, and neither do his Sicilian friends:they seem to understand him very well. :D

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”