Sicily - Technical Classes

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Re: Sicily - Technical Classes

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:@Matthew, when I play a descending chromatic scale starting with 4, how can I prevent my pinky shooting up when I play 3? I know it should be hovering just above the string.
May I add that I really enjoy these videos?
You have to go very slow at first and try and prepare the transfer of weight and pressure between finger 4 and 3. The shooting up of the 4th that you are experiencing at the moment needs to be tamed and controlled so as you can have total control over all your fingers and get the response you want from them. I think of the movements in three steps, pressure, empty, and release, after the release of the finger 4 you are in the act of placing 3 on the guitar, or perhaps you already had it prepared, either way the 4th should then be empty of tension and much easier to control. Often the shooting up is a sign that there is still lots of energy and tension in the finger as it lifts away from the fingerboard and we want to control this and really clean it up.

Just practice slowly going between 3 and 4 and really try hard to limit the amount of lift your 4th finger has as you play with 3. It is natural to have some lift but as you know you need all your fingers hovering over the string, it takes slow, steady and careful practice to control the fingers when they are not in the act of playing, every time you see them fly up,stop, reset and begin again. Eventually the fingers will start to become tamed!

We can have a good look at it during the CGR in July!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Tarbaby wrote:These are wonderful, as are all of your contributions to the forum, Matthew! :D

I enjoy listening to you speak almost as much as I enjoy listening to you play! I especially like the way you pronounce "stroke". :mrgreen:

Enjoy your time in Sicily. It must be beautiful there this time of year.

Looking forward to more videos! :merci:

Alan
Thanks Alan! I hope that you are having a nice spring in Portland! I remember my time there well on tour a few years back, it is a great city and I was really inspired by driving up to Oregon from California, stunning!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Linda wrote:Hello Matthew,

Thank you so much for these videos. It is so nice of you to share your expertise in this way with everyone.

I'll give these exercises a try.

Thanks again,

linea
Thanks Linea, I hope you are finding them useful!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

khayes wrote:I'll throw out another 'Thank You!', Matthew, and can I say that I really admire your playing? I hope this is not an over-generalization but I really appreciate the tempos you've chosen on some of the pieces I've seen. The ones that really speak to me seem to be done quite a bit slower than I have heard before. Your emotional connection always shines through. Thanks again.
Thanks Khayes, your comments about tempo and emotional connection are very nice, I am glad you enjoy my playing.

I hope that you will find some useful bits and pieces in these technical videos.

Matthew

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 pm

el Corcobés wrote:Thank you Matthew for those excellent lessons expertly delivered...love your accent.
i will incorporate them into my reg. exercises. :merci:

Sorry, but i don't use Facebook.
Thanks El Corcobés, many of the exercises are ideal for regular practice as part of warming up etc....

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:Thanks Alan! I hope that you are having a nice spring in Portland! I remember my time there well on tour a few years back, it is a great city and I was really inspired by driving up to Oregon from California, stunning!
Thank you Matthew. It doesn't feel much like Spring yet, but the trees and the flowers seem to be quite happy.

Yes, that drive up the coastal highway is awe inspiring! I often think about how the Native Americans perceived those vistas 200 years ago.

I'm still kicking myself for having had to miss your noon concert here because I had to work. I hope you'll be back someday.

By the way, your guitar case in the background shows how well traveled you are! :lol:

Alan

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Tarbaby wrote:
Matthew McAllister wrote:Thanks Alan! I hope that you are having a nice spring in Portland! I remember my time there well on tour a few years back, it is a great city and I was really inspired by driving up to Oregon from California, stunning!
I'm still kicking myself for having had to miss your noon concert here because I had to work. I hope you'll be back someday.

By the way, your guitar case in the background shows how well traveled you are! :lol:

Alan
I'll be back up in Portland for definite, I really enjoyed playing there.

Back at home now for a few weeks which is a great feeling and the case and guitar can rest for a while also!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 10, 2012 11:24 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:Hi Matthew,
I haven't had time to watch all the videos yet, but I will in the next few days. Can I suggest to repeat these sessions as early morning exercises at the CGR?
You read my mind!!!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Great minds think alike
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 am

Excellent videos - thank you for sharing them!!! And on the Facebook page, the guitar in the picture - I love the rosette!
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am

Jackson Hewitt wrote:Excellent videos - thank you for sharing them!!! And on the Facebook page, the guitar in the picture - I love the rosette!
Hi Jackson,

I hope you find the videos useful.

Here is some info about the rosette, at about 3mins30secs into the video.

Youtube

check about 3.30 into the video.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Fri May 18, 2012 1:29 am

Matthew, this is an incredible video. I'm very glad that you've taken time to share yourself with the Delcamp forum.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Jackson Hewitt wrote:Matthew, this is an incredible video. I'm very glad that you've taken time to share yourself with the Delcamp forum.
No problem, I am more than happy to share!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 am

Just curios, if I was to make one specific video about an aspect of technique, so not a film from classes but an actual made to camera style video what would you most like to see or find useful? A little summer project might be on the cards....

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Useful: your daily routine of LH and RH exercises the do's and don'ts. I know a number LH exercises, but not many for RH.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”