Can electric guitar technique hamper my classical technique?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
haunting_nylon

Re: Can electric guitar technique hamper my classical techni

Postby haunting_nylon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:47 am

Wow! Wonderful replies from all of you, thanks and keep 'em coming :)

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Postby Larry McDonald » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm

"Hi...uh...my name is Larry...and I..uh...play electric bass guitar..in a weekend warrior band".
There, my secret is out. I feel so much better.

It's the truth. But seriously, I see no harm in doing both, as long as you don't wear the electric around your knees when you play. This can make the left wrist bend too much.

Good luck,
Lare

haunting_nylon

Postby haunting_nylon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:01 pm

robin loops wrote:I use a finger nail file to soften the tips (when I play a lot of electric and steel string). Best of both worlds because you can leave enough callous so that they are still really firm and solid but take enough away so they are smooth and soft.

Robin, Thank you so much for your reply. may I know which finger nail file (in terms of grit) do you use to soften your tips ? Thanks.

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

For the tips I just use the fine (white side) of an Emory board or 400 grit if I want them smoother. I'm also careful to push very lightly so as not to 'dig in'. Also I prefer to use slightly worn Emory boards for this (smoother than new ones).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 pm

There are also special spongy buffers available. Normally used for calousses on the feet.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Jeff Robertson

Postby Jeff Robertson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Kent wrote:Do not get rid of your electric guitar! You will just anguish nightly until you buy another.
The techniques used with the two types of guitars are different, but if anything, it will enhance your playing. It is fantastic to be able to master both electric and classical guitar.
They do compliment each other, and you will transfer little skills you learn on both. There is no rules against focusing on just one.
You have a concern that most people would love to have. :elec:

+1
----------------------------------------------
Jeff Robertson
aka TheGuitarAficionado (e - b a y)
"Believe that you are and you will be"

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Playing electric guitar regularly will mess up your classical playing and vica versa. Coincidentally I just just watched a video with Sharon Isbin and Steve Vai on youtube, Vai says in the video:

''It's not even like apples and oranges what we both do (Isbin and Vai), it's like apples and beef yoghurt.''

I don't like the sound of beef yoghurt but you get Vai's drift. If you are happy to be mediocre at both then practice both. If you are pursuing real excellence in one or the other then concentrate exclusively on one or the other.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 pm

I think it is possible to play both as long as you have really good teachers for both instruments and you really know what you are doing. There are several players who can play quite well classical guitar, baroque guitar, romantic guitar and lute, which also have diferent sizes and technique. Paulo Bellinati could play quite well electric guitar, classical guitar, viola (brazilian instrument, similar to a baroque guitar). But certainly if you want to be a top virtuoso you have to priorize one of them.

haunting_nylon

Postby haunting_nylon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:Playing electric guitar regularly will mess up your classical playing and vica versa. Coincidentally I just just watched a video with Sharon Isbin and Steve Vai on youtube, Vai says in the video:

''It's not even like apples and oranges what we both do (Isbin and Vai), it's like apples and beef yoghurt.''

I don't like the sound of beef yoghurt but you get Vai's drift. If you are happy to be mediocre at both then practice both. If you are pursuing real excellence in one or the other then concentrate exclusively on one or the other.

I went to your youtube page and noticed that you Favorited a Frank Bungarten Video. Did you know that Frank plays electric guitar as well ?, even he used to play saxophone and played in jazz bands. And all of this time, Classical Guitar has been his principle instrument. Based on his achievements, I think that it's safe to call him a virtuoso on the classical guitar. He just plays electric blues guitar as a hobby. Please see the video below, the interview is in English

http://www.guitarthai.com/media/mediade ... paraID=367

By the way I do not the like Vai and Isbin's version of la cathedral, to me it was a futile effort. Classical Guitar and electric guitar can be used in the same piece of music in certain ways but the way in which they did, ended in a fiasco. I think Vai can at times appear to be quite pretentious, even though I acknowledge him as a rock guitar virtuoso and highly talented musician. But what I hated the most about Vai is his misleading advice like " don't focus on your weaknesses " and false analogy fallacies like the one you quoted. If I'm left hungry for more than a week and then given some food, then I will probably fail to distinguish the taste and tenderness or even the difference between apple and beef yogurt. And I think you overlooked what i wrote, i asked if it was okay to play electric guitar for 10-20 % of your play / practice time and spend the rest on classical, where classical is obviously my top priority. Now that can obviously hamper my classical technique, but the real question is - how much damage can it do even if i play it for such a short time ? My question is more complex than I thought. And just to be clear electric guitar does not equal to metal or highly distorted / shredding music, and I generally don't want to hear both classical and electric played on the same piece. I hear them differently.

henders

Postby henders » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Classical should be your sole focus. Rock guitar technique will interfere with your progress on the classical. It will also take away precious hours of practice time. A final point: the electric guitar and rock music will likely become less important to you as you age. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you asked for opinions.

Richard Christie

Postby Richard Christie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:55 am

I wish to point out how much playing lute, vihuela and baroque guitar messed up Julian Bream's classical technique.
The guitar, causes dreams to weep.
The sobs of lost souls, escape from its round mouth.
And like the tarantula, it weaves a great star
To snare the sighs,
Which float inside its dark wooden cistern
- Lorca

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:14 am

henders wrote:Classical should be your sole focus. Rock guitar technique will interfere with your progress on the classical. It will also take away precious hours of practice time. A final point: the electric guitar and rock music will likely become less important to you as you age. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you asked for opinions.

Based on personal experience? Or is that just "your opinion" based on personal preferences?
-James-

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 am

robin loops wrote:Based on personal experience? Or is that just "your opinion" based on personal preferences?

That's an awfully subtle difference isn't it?

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 am

No. Experience and taste are vastly different things.
-James-

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:15 pm

One can do more harm to technique by playing tennis than by playing electric guitar.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”