The Natural Classical Guitar - Lee Ryan

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
stevel

The Natural Classical Guitar - Lee Ryan

Post by stevel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 am

Just came across this in a search about damping, and it has a pretty exhaustive discussion with examples - at least for what is shown in the Google preview.

Anyone have this book? Would you recommend it or others like it?

I'm looking for things that tackle some of the very basic technique issues that can become complex on guitar, such as damping/muting, rest vs. free stroke, interpretation for various styles, etc. etc. - to answer those questions that always come up for me like, "should I let this note ring?" etc.

Steve

Renlab

Re: The Natural Classical Guitar - Lee Ryan

Post by Renlab » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 pm

I have the book, and yes I would highly recommend it. But not for the use that you describe.

Here is what is written:

" the Natural classical guitar presents a holistic approach with 10 principles that will help you develop yourself as well as your playing. The basic principle is to let nature support you in every way so that your playing is as effortless as possible. Related principles show you how to practice and perform better by settling your mind, relaxing your body, balancing relaxation and activity, and using your mind to guide your fingers"

Included are specific techniques for nail care, right-hand strokes, fluid left-hand shifting, secure playing of fast scales and more.

This book is required daily reading for me. I have read it 3 times through already. And every time I read it, I pick up something new that I didn't realize was there before.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Probably the best book written for classical guitar in my opinion. It isn't really meant to be a substitute for learning correct technique, it's more of an addendum. It just gives you lots of clues on how to obtain good technique and performances based on finding a relaxed/less tense way of doing things. It deals with how to use your mind more than how to use your fingers. There are some exercises suggested to address specific problems, but they are not like the typical exercises where you just repeat a musical passage over and over.

So to more directly answer stevel's post, no it isn't a book that will tell you when you should "let this note ring" type questions. It does however give you lots of tools to help make these types of decisions on your own. In my opinion, these decisions should ultimately be made by the player anyway. You shouldn't have to rigidly follow what some teacher or book says.

Mike Gover

Post by Mike Gover » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:50 am

I tried to like this book but didn't really get a whole lot out of it.....mybe I'll go back and read it again.

Mike

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am

Gruppi's answer is 'spot on'.
This book is a very worthwhile addition to the guitarist's technique building programme.

The Play /Relax technique which it embodies, is a very useful tool...one which i also use very successfully in my tennis game! :D

jen delsignore

Post by jen delsignore » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 pm

I enjoyed this book and found it to be very helpful. Worth looking into. I bought my copy through strings by mail, cheaper than amazon.

Steve Murtha

Post by Steve Murtha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 am

I concur-Excellent book

Stringlover

Post by Stringlover » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:45 am

I have the book and I concur with the positive input above. It does emphasize super points about relaxation and approach, it is highly recommended.

FrankBlack

Post by FrankBlack » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 am

I agree that this book covers what most methods do not: the ergonomics and physiology of playing classical guitar. For the casual player this may not be as important (but it is still important) as raw technique, but if you play the guitar a lot this information will be a godsend. The release of tension and using proper alignment can prevent long-term injury and make your playing easier. Are there other books like this?

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 am

This book was mentioned in another thread, just received my copy today (used but in like-new condition).
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 am

If you want something on damping strings, this might be useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoaRVY7 ... D7FA3F7B59

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 am

FrankBlack wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 am
I agree that this book covers what most methods do not: the ergonomics and physiology of playing classical guitar. For the casual player this may not be as important (but it is still important) as raw technique, but if you play the guitar a lot this information will be a godsend. The release of tension and using proper alignment can prevent long-term injury and make your playing easier. Are there other books like this?
Jamie Andreas talks a lot about the physiology of guitar, specifically avoiding tension and how tension can prevent progress, cause injury, etc. She has specific techniques to identify tension and eliminate it. I do not have a copy of Mr. Ryan's book yet but should have it by Monday. But Jamie's Principles of Correct Practice is excellent, IMO, for guitarists.

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I used to own this book. I sold it on the online auction site about 10 years ago. I found it rather dry and boring, but the author does provide some interesting aspects like the play-relax approach.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”