Right Hand Technique & - Concert Guitarist Slow Motion Videos

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
kmurdick

Re: Right Hand Technique & - Concert Guitarist Slow Motion Videos

Post by kmurdick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Actually, Shearer could demonstrate what he wanted his students to know. His right hand was injured in a fall, but he could still play slowly with good tone.

I notice that the Aaron Shearer Foundation has a special summer program that one can go for $800. It's in a beautiful canyon out West where they teach the Aaron Shearer Method. The only problem with this is that there is no such thing as the Aaron Shearer Method unless you were to believe that Shearer invented the scientific method-and of course he didn't.

https://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/ ... cation.pdf

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 pm

OK, I'm going to go out on a long limb here and make a prediction about the future of guitar pedagogy.

I believe that the getting the right movements (and there aren't really that many) is mainly predicated on getting and keeping the fingers in the the correct position at all times (Aaron Shearer). Once they are in the correct position, a student is most likely to make the very complex efficient finger movements necessary with minimal instruction. The caveat here is that it takes a certain amount of time to groove these motion in, and this study must done independent of any distractions like reading pitches, rhythm and using the left hand. In short, the future of guitar pedagogy will hinge on learning the right hand in isolation. I have only found one guy who agrees with me on this, he has gotten very good results. I can't get anybody else to try it.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 am

It sounds interesting and a little space age! Maybe there can be a machine that moves the fingers while you sleep.

I'm curious, what were private lessons like with Shearer? Did he demonstrate anything on the guitar or could he not play at all? Do you think his injury was focal dystonia? Obviously back then it didn't have that name but there is some evidence people were getting it all through history.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 am

It was a tendon injury not focal distonia. He had a great left hand, so he could play anything that didn't require a facile right hand.

Lessons with Shearer changed over time. Shearer was the first teacher that I know of who understood the problem of connecting notes within motives and phrases. With the guitar it is impossible to connect all the notes, but you can use clever left hand fingerings to shift the disconnections to places where they do no harm like at the end of a motive or phrase. Bream was the first guitarist (that I know of) who did this in performance. Segovia and Williams would often break phrases.

Shearer had a comprehensive scale system (not in print) that was much better, IMO, than Segovia's. He also taught memorization through visualization which I don't think anyone else was doing in the 60s.

Manuel Barrueco could have studied with any teacher in world with a full scholarship. Why did he pick Shearer? I know that there was more going on than Manuel mentioned in that interview.

BTW, you don't need a machine to train the right and left hand separately. Read the thread on "Pick First" teaching.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 am

Some decent closeups of Thomas Viloteau's right hand. Use the youtube player to slow down and notice his supinated right hand position

Youtube

This is a great video on arpeggios by the same player. Around 1 min you can see him doing the pimami arpeggio (Giuliani Em study). His forearm is quite supinated and watch how his index finger main KJ extends while MJ is in flexion. Quite a bit of thumb tip joint flexion too, which is another thing that most pedagogy frowns upon.

Youtube

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 am

Many great closeups of Thomas Viloteau's right hand showing the pluck is clearly made up of finger joints moving in opposite directions.

Youtube

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 am

Check out this video of Dmitry Nilov and find all the camera angles coming from the neck side of the guitar. He plays block chords, free strokes, rest strokes all will a very relaxed technique and flexion from the middle joint. Yes, he does not "dig in" as much as some guitarists seem to be in favor of, but I prefer his relaxed technique to the digging in technique which to my ears can be harsh, heavy handed and non-musical.

Youtube

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 am

OK that's a wicked hook on Ito's thumbnail! That is a typical supinated position to my eye, but he's got an atypical extension of the wrist.

Viloteau's nail video is one of the first guitar tutorial videos I ever looked at. I'm the guy who linked to his arpeggio video a couple of weeks ago up-thread as a good look at a supinated hand position as well as the alternation of KJ/MJ flexion/extension. You have a point about nail shape. My particular nails/fingers make it tricky to find and keep a shape where the corner of the i nail won't catch if I use a pronated RH. Not an issue w/ supinated RH, and that may be one reason I want to give it a chance.

Add Meng Su to the list of recent competition winners (2015 Parkening Int'l.) who favors a (slightly) supinated RH.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm

robert e wrote:OK that's a wicked hook on Ito's thumbnail! That is a typical supinated position to my eye, but he's got an atypical extension of the wrist.

Viloteau's nail video is one of the first guitar tutorial videos I ever looked at. I'm the guy who linked to his arpeggio video a couple of weeks ago up-thread as a good look at a supinated hand position as well as the alternation of KJ/MJ flexion/extension. You have a point about nail shape. My particular nails/fingers make it tricky to find and keep a shape where the corner of the i nail won't catch if I use a pronated RH. Not an issue w/ supinated RH, and that may be one reason I want to give it a chance.

Add Meng Su to the list of recent competition winners (2015 Parkening Int'l.) who favors a (slightly) supinated RH.
There's been so many posts I can't keep track of who said what anymore, and I'm sure I'm reposting things I already posted. I have the same problem with my nails, in the past I thought it would be best for my hand to play off the extreme left side of the nail with wrist pronation and either file a rounded nail or a heavily ramped nail like Russell does. But this supinated position may be the way to go for me. I was feeling like my a nail was grabbing from the KJ too much, but I think it's because it needs to have a slight reverse ramp shape on the a finger to work at this angle. Once my nails grow out I'm going to try the Thomas V method of sanding but using that supinated position to cut the nail shape.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Meng Su is incredible, the last movement specifically. It's hard to see supination from this angle, but I do see some for free strokes and then a move to a more neutral position for rest strokes.

Youtube

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Maybe there's some main KJ flexion effort in Marco Tamayo's right hand, but I don't see it. If it's there, it's minimal and just the right amount to hold the string. It looks like he lightly touches the strings with the finger tips and then flexions his middle joint to create the sound.

Youtube

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

I was a little surprised to see in this video Meng Su is using main KJ flexion to push through the string. The follow-through, however, is still minimal and it appears only on slow passages. I don't see it happening on the fast arpeggios. Perhaps the supinated forearm helps with this.

Youtube

Robbie Flamerock

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Could you specify a spot where the KJ flexion occurs?

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 pm

34:45 min. It's minimal and most of the time I don't see that movement, only on a few block chord sections

Robbie Flamerock

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I think that the length of one's fingers is relevant. Very long fingers.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”