Andrew York..

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Johnbow

Andrew York..

Postby Johnbow » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:09 am

Anyone play any Andrew York stuff. Specifically from Denouement? I was thinking of ordering The music.

Johnbow

Sorry bout that..

Postby Johnbow » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:10 am

Sorry.. I am impatient..

Florentin Tise
Teacher

Postby Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:21 am

I do not play anything by him. Unfortunately.

The thing I like most about York is his personality, musical and not. He is humble, reachable, honest, transparent. What you see is what you get. He's got nothing to prove, no one to please.

I would suggest, of course, "Sunburst"
"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
Confucius

alter Ton

Postby alter Ton » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:36 am

I've played some stuff from his Denouement CD. What specifically do you want to know about his music?

Piper

Postby Piper » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:27 am

I´m a great fan of LAGQ and, of course of Andrew.
He´s really a very very nice guy,
and I like his music.
A lot of it is very hard to do,
but there are as well many pieces I can play.
Which are the ones you are working on?
Greetings
Piper

Johnbow

Postby Johnbow » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:07 am

I was thinking eight Discernments and 8 Dreamscapes.. As well as Waiting for Dawn?? I dont wanna spemd a lifetime on these.. Just something new to get out of a rut.. I am about a level 5 or six player.. I am just a bit Tired of Tarrega and Sor and Giuliani and Carulli and Villa Lobos.. Something a bit more modern as a diversion kinda thing..

Piper

Postby Piper » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi Johnbow,

wonderful, exactly the ones I do!
The Discernments are quite easy, and you can work on them for musical expression.
The Dreamscapes are a bit harder to do.
Waiting for Dawn ist about in between.
And besides, I like Faire very much!!!
Best wishes!
Piper

CGC

Andrew York

Postby CGC » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Johnbow,
I don't have the Dreamscapes or Discernments but I do have Muir woods,Marley's ghost, Intro to Sunburst,Sunburst, Freelin, Sirocco, and Suite:3 dances.These are all great. My favorite is Sirocco.The easier pieces are Muir Woods and Suite :3 dances.
I'll have to check out Denouenment !

Barrenone

Postby Barrenone » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 pm

I really like Andrew York. My teacher has me learning Willow and Snowflight...two songs from the 8 Discernments on the Denouncement CD. Faire is my favorite song from Andrew York so far and I hope to be able to play that someday.

alter Ton

Postby alter Ton » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:02 am

I agree with Piper's sentiments concerning the difficulty. None of them are very difficult, and all are quite enjoyable. From 8 Dreamscapes, I prefer In Sorrow's Wake, Watercolor(this one is rather easy), and Quicksilver. Waiting for Dawn seems to be one of his more popular works (outside of Sunburst) so I can't imagine you'd go wrong with it.

strummer312

Where to buy?

Postby strummer312 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:52 am

Your comments sound interesting. Where is a good site to puchase a CD of CG music such as York? I would like to hear what you are discussing. If I like it where could I buy the music?

alter Ton

Postby alter Ton » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:58 pm

His CD's are available through most online music retailers. You can also buy tracks (individually or complete CD) from his website, http://www.andrewyork.net/Home.php.

Almost all of his solo music is published by Guitar Solo Publications so you can order it through most sheet music stores or directly from them (http://www.gspguitar.com/index.jsp). He also has some pieces available directly from his website.

CGC

Andrew York

Postby CGC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:17 pm

I just picked up Three Dimensions. These are three great "finger-style" guitar pieces. I would rate them fairly easy compared to some of his other compositions. Three Dimensions is published by Melbay. I highly recommend it. :D

Ted O'Farrell

Postby Ted O'Farrell » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:33 am

Andrew York's music is great... don't forget about
Sunday Morning Overcast as well...

Ted :)

Renee's Dad

Re: Andrew York..

Postby Renee's Dad » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:24 am

Bumping this thread, as I've recently become addicted to his newest piece, "Home":

Youtube

Not that crazy about his outfit, but I can listen to this tune all day. That Torres is about the sweetest guitar I've ever heard - at least the most pleasing to my ear.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”