Andrew York..

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Contreras

Re: Andrew York..

Postby Contreras » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 am

Yes, I do enjoy listening to and playing his music, in particular Woven World and other pieces from his Yamour album (incl. the title piece), and lately Pi from the Equations of Beauty set.
If you know my selections you will see I prefer the more musical ones (ie. Home ... not so much); they are challenging and accessible at the same time, enjoyable to play and a change from the usual repertoire.
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:54 am

His music is ok. But his outfit and his elegiac gestures are not to my taste.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004
Yamaha SLG200S, silent guitar

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Renee's Dad wrote:Bumping this thread, as I've recently become addicted to his newest piece, "Home":

Yeah - I bough the score to Home a few weeks ago and it's on my "to learn" list.

How he looks and acts is irrrelevant: it's the music that counts.
I've been a fan of his compositions for a long time and I've learned several - indeed he is the composer who drew me away from steel-string.
His tunes are modern, accessible, and range from exceedingly simple to play to devilishly difficult. There's something for everyone.

He's clearly a very clever and thoughtful guy - his maths musings prove that.

Now if only he'd come and play in the UK...

Contreras

Postby Contreras » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:20 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:His music is ok. But his outfit and his elegiac gestures are not to my taste.

I always thought that his rapt expressions (in the Yamour video) were his response to the Torres!

And what's wrong with bare feet? :mrgreen:
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

chiral3

Postby chiral3 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Agreed Contreras. I've been playing his newer stuff too. Yamour, etc. I like his later stuff more than his earlier. It's more interesting.

I really need to separate the music from the man, though. He can be a bit much. I also suspect he wrote his own software to distribute his music, which was clunky in the beginning, and made buying his music more involved. He's like the Metallica of CG.
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

Big bird

Postby Big bird » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Renee's Dad wrote:Bumping this thread, as I've recently become addicted to his newest piece, "Home":

Youtube

Not that crazy about his outfit, but I can listen to this tune all day. That Torres is about the sweetest guitar I've ever heard - at least the most pleasing to my ear.

I must admit that I do listen too it almost daily. I will find myself humming it; often. I like much of his music but this one has just stuck.... it's kind of annoying....

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 pm

I like Royal Plum Pudding from Denouement. It's not too hard, maybe D04 level, and you can find the music by searching google images.

Renee's Dad

Postby Renee's Dad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm

UKsteve wrote:Yeah - I bought the score to Home a few weeks ago and it's on my "to learn" list.

UKsteve wrote:His tunes are modern, accessible, and range from exceedingly simple to play to devilishly difficult. There's something for everyone.

I also just recently bought the score, along with that for "Squares Suspended", and was happy to find that "Home" is only a slightly more difficult piece. It seems pretty straightforward - as opposed to something like "Lament" -which is perfect for a CG re-start like me (15+ years away). I once again have calloused left hand fingertips, with Sir York solely to blame (or thank).
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Squares Suspended is my recent favorite and what he wears and his expressions are his And who Am I to judge. I do like his playing very much and my one time meeting him some years ago was very pleasant. He was engaging and gracious. The current music he's playing on that Torres is just beautiful!
Hauser III 2014!

tormodg

Postby tormodg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 pm

Lovely piece. I too bought the sheet music immediately after hearing the piece on YouTube last week or so. It's not too challenging and has a wonderful sense of flow.

I played both Sunburst and Lullaby at my senior recital in college way back in 1992. Love his music!
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

khayes

Postby khayes » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:04 am

Jack Douglas wrote:Squares Suspended is my recent favorite and what he wears and his expressions are his And who Am I to judge. I do like his playing very much and my one time meeting him some years ago was very pleasant. He was engaging and gracious. The current music he's playing on that Torres is just beautiful!
I've never met him but that's exactly my impression. Ten years ago I was working through "In Sorrow's Wake" when I got word that my son had just died. In the weeks after I could not get that piece out of my head. I emailed Andrew and thanked him for this musical gift in my life. I never expected to hear back, but he replied quickly with the kindest words and told me how that piece just flowed out of him spontaneously.
Ken

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:46 pm

khayes wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:Ten years ago I was working through "In Sorrow's Wake" when I got word that my son had just died. In the weeks after I could not get that piece out of my head.

What a terrible story: So sorry for your awful loss.

It was a friend's YouTube recording of "In sorrow's wake" that first attracted me to his music also. Although many of his pieces are seemingly so simple, it is their ability to get into your head and "hook" you that I think distinguishes him from so many other living guitar composers.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:12 pm

UKsteve wrote:
khayes wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:Ten years ago I was working through "In Sorrow's Wake" when I got word that my son had just died. In the weeks after I could not get that piece out of my head.

What a terrible story: So sorry for your awful loss.

It was a friend's YouTube recording of "In sorrow's wake" that first attracted me to his music also. Although many of his pieces are seemingly so simple, it is their ability to get into your head and "hook" you that I think distinguishes him from so many other living guitar composers.

Somehow my name got attached to the above quote and I agree that it's a terrible story, just not mine. Khayes was the person whose son died and it was his response back from Andrew that he wrote about. It speaks highly of Andrew York and communicates well the very sad loss of Khayes' son.

Best regards,
Jack Douglas
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”