Joe Pass

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ct_1986

thanks

Postby ct_1986 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:46 am

just wanted to say thanks for your postings. Being a student of classical guitar and a beginner in jazz guitar, I find your thoughts and suggestions very interesting.

thrip

Postby thrip » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:37 am

RJay wrote: It seems a very odd combination as I can't imagine much of Charlie Parker's music being performed on a classical guitar and not having heard this I don't understand why he would choose the Classical guitar for this. What is your thoughts on this or are you goofin'?

Well it's not an album of Charlie Parker tunes, but looking at the track list it seems to draw the material from Parker's "With Strings" recordings on Verve:

Just Friends
Easy To LoveSummertime
April In Paris
Everything Happens To Me
Laura
They Can't Take That Away From Me
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
If I Should Lose You
Out Of Nowhere

And here's the cover:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thrip

Postby thrip » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 am

BTW I found this album on a certain online retailer pretty easily.

RJay

Postby RJay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks thrip

I have found, I think the same site, the info you have posted. It seems very interesting and I am putting this on my buy list. The title is still rather curious. These are just standards recorded by countless jazz artists of which Charlie is just one.

Thanks.

theJazzer

Postby theJazzer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Not sure he's playing a Nylon strung guitar tho'. Actually sorry scrub that, yes he is.

dbsf

Joe Pass Chord book

Postby dbsf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:51 am

This book will turn your head around and is a great addition to anyone's library who has even the slightest interest in modern music of any form, whether it's Brouwer or Charlie Christian.

It's great to simply play through the chords just to hear them, and swapping them for chords in pieces you're already playing is really entertaining and add's a great improvisational and unexpected richness.

David/sf

theJazzer

Postby theJazzer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 am

Chord substitution was Joe Pass's thing. If you know anything about the principles of tri-tone substitution or harmonization you can apply JPass principles. What he did was very simple and very effective and rich sounding. Fleshing out a chord progression then adding a bass line as a linking device. It's easier than it sounds.

Martin Taylor has picked up on this but I think the true genius really is Ralph Towner (as mentioned earlier) but he sounds nothing like the other two.

Does anyone know if Charlie Parkers mucis is under any kind of copyright?

RJay

Postby RJay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

All under copyright as far as I know. Probably the most popular book of his stuff, and my favorite, is the Omni book published I think by Jamey Abersold. Check his website.

theJazzer

Postby theJazzer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

I have the Omni book, haven't checked the copyright status but I just had a feeling that he may have negelected to copyright it, however, I think there is some kind of automatic copyright anyway even if you don't actually do it formally.

gre107

Postby gre107 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:29 pm

Another great album of Joe Pass is "Unforgetable". All songs are played on his nylon and steel string acoustics.

A very worthwile and inspirational album for all.

pretlof

Postby pretlof » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:51 am

there is al lot of JOE Pass misic. But you have to buy. just google Joe Pass. i found it that way. but it is difficult stuff. i'm better in villa-lobos, sor etc...

greetings

pretlof :roll:

nyccg

Postby nyccg » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:28 pm

I love Joe Pass but I haven't been able to find a great deal of the chordal, polyphonic stuff discussed in this thread. Are there particularly good CDs with this style, and while we're at it, sheet music for it?
On Ralph Towner, I've tried to listen to a lot of his stuff. Is it just me or does his music suffer from a New Age type feel to it?

theJazzer

Postby theJazzer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:13 pm

If you read the threads, you'll find the answer is YES. "Virtuoso" are the albums and some transcriptions are also available in book form. Probably Mel Bay.

widdly

Postby widdly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:00 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Charlie Byrd in this thread. This guy studied with Sergovia no less and his career straddles jazz and classical, all played on a nylon stringed instrument. His comping even incorporated flamenco style rasguados.

Also if you enjoy Ralph Towner, he wrote a great book on improvising on a classical guitar. It's very well thought out and detailed. It has these exercises that look simple until you play them. I'm sure it would help straight classical players too.

theJazzer

Postby theJazzer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 am

I don't like Charlie, nothing personal, hence no mention.....

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”