Joe Pass

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
flashchudder

Post by flashchudder » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:56 pm

ah yes charlie byrd. thanks for mentioning him. quite a delight to listen to. even django reinhardt did some classically inspired pieces(though his strings would probably have been gut material if not just steel) still beautiful to listen to for a man with the use of 2 1/2 fingers on his left hand. also, i believe there was a musical meeting of him w/ segovia. ill look that up right now.......

thrip

Post by thrip » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:35 pm

The Classical style pieces that Django recorded are as follows:

First movement of Bach's double violin concerto in D minor (2 versions)

Liebestraum Number 3 (Liszt)

Fantaisie Sur Une Danse Norvegienne De Grieg

Improvisation Sur La Symphonie No. 6 De Tchaikovsky

Django's Dream (Improvisation on Debussy's "Reverie", with the introduction taken from "Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune")

There might be one or two others that I missed.

Django also composed several "classical" works including his "Bolero", which was played at a concert that included Ravels famous piece, and also his Gypsy Mass of which only a fragment still survives played on organ. The score has unfortunately been lost.

Django composed by dictating the lines from his guitar to someone who could write the music down.

Django met Segovia on at least one occasion. There are, however, conflicting reports about Segovia's reaction. One story tells that Segovia listened entranced to Django playing solo, and when he had finished asked him where he might buy the music for the piece. Django laughed and said that he had just been improvising. The other story is that Segovia remained utterly unimpressed and blanked Django all night.

:shock:

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 pm

Three great Django fingerstyle pieces are Nuages, Naguine and Tears. A nice arrangement of Nuages by Roland Dyens is on his Nuages CD. The sheet music is part of his "Mes Arrangements a L'Amiable" book.
Tears and Naguine are available in Michael Horowitz's "Unaccompanied Django" book.

thrip

Post by thrip » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm

I'd add "Improvisation No.2" to that list.

Michael Horowitz's "Unaccompanied Django" is one of the best books ever to be published on Django's guitar style.

franks59

Post by franks59 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:23 pm

I have three very old books of his music published by Gwyn Publishing which is now owned by Alfred Publishing:

Jazz Guitar Solos
Joe Pass Chord Solos
Jazz Duets (with Herb Ellis)

I found the first one on SheetmusicPlus. They have lots of others there too.

Frank

mixedbag

Post by mixedbag » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:56 pm

I would not get hung up on what type of guitar a piece of music was played on. If you like it learn it and make it your own. I am classically trained and have played all styles of music jazz, rock, metal and classical. I have learned something new from each one and they are all related in some way. I have a joe pass book of transcriptions and they are very challenging and can be played on any type of guitar.

Tony Hyman

JOE PASS

Post by Tony Hyman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi CGC,
Here I come again ,"Dr Quote"but never the less,I do happen to have a copy of his VERTUOSO#3 transcribed by Alan de Mause.Although he doesn't as to what guitar he prefered playing,he dose however,about
style"All of the pieces were played fingerstyle-the best way to play
the ghuitar,I think."unquote.Who Knows? he might well have had a copy
of Mauro Giuliani Op .1 and a classiclal guitar amongst his many guitars.

DeMonford

Post by DeMonford » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:31 pm

when it comes to jazz, chordal style on the classical guitar, i cannot think of anyone who does it better today than gene bertoncini.

http://www.genebertoncini.com/main.htm

the guy is absolutely brilliant, plays classical guitar and gets fabulous tone.
check it out

alankroeger

Post by alankroeger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:24 pm

I used to this ancient album by Al viola he did Jazz/Classical/Flamenco renditions on this album.
Hmm let me do an allmusic query and see if they have the title... Umm no but google located info on it "Guitar Lament" was the title of the album I had inherited from my grandfather (another guitarist and a Jazz banjo player in the 20's)
The album is awesome full of marvelous technique and nice Classically styled renditions of Jazz Standards.
http://www.classicjazzguitar.com/artist ... ?artist=31
Al Viola Web page he is still alive but pretty elderly being born in 1919
http://www.alviola.com/

Another individual (now deceased) to examine is the Classical styled Jazz of Laurindo Almeida.

twistedblues

Re: Joe Pass

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:34 am

Are there any Joe Pass CDs where he plays everything on a classical guitar?

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:41 am

Wow, Joe Pass! I saw him twice at Fat Tuesdays on 2nd ave in NYC in the 80's. just checked Mapquest, place not there any more. It's a small joint in the basement, me and a friend sat at a table 4 feet from him playing solo with an amp. He played Medleys of Jazz standards. It was amazing! Loved it! I remember he was cracking jokes about guitarists who plays fast. lol.

SteveL123

Re:

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:45 am

thrip wrote:The Classical style pieces that Django recorded are as follows:

First movement of Bach's double violin concerto in D minor (2 versions)

Liebestraum Number 3 (Liszt)

Fantaisie Sur Une Danse Norvegienne De Grieg

Improvisation Sur La Symphonie No. 6 De Tchaikovsky

Django's Dream (Improvisation on Debussy's "Reverie", with the introduction taken from "Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune")

There might be one or two others that I missed.

Django also composed several "classical" works including his "Bolero", which was played at a concert that included Ravels famous piece, and also his Gypsy Mass of which only a fragment still survives played on organ. The score has unfortunately been lost.

Django composed by dictating the lines from his guitar to someone who could write the music down.

Django met Segovia on at least one occasion. There are, however, conflicting reports about Segovia's reaction. One story tells that Segovia listened entranced to Django playing solo, and when he had finished asked him where he might buy the music for the piece. Django laughed and said that he had just been improvising. The other story is that Segovia remained utterly unimpressed and blanked Django all night.

:shock:
Great post! I didn't know any of this. Just did a search for the first one and listened. Great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRjTeQ-sIM

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:28 am

I don't think his album with Ella Fitzgerald was mentioned, he plays a nylon on it. It's called together again.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 am

It's amazing this thread was revived after 10 years lol. Most of them are not members here anymore except one, i know him on youtube before. Yeah Joe Pass was very good.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:29 pm

You might try my book, "Jazz Comping for Fingerstyle Guitar". It teaches the essence of playing the Pass method as well a giving you a solid way of comping. http://www.melbay.com/AdvancedSearch/De ... nt+murdick

You can hear a sample of the comping style here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1wm69xkqyfua ... W-Lwa?dl=0

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”