Playing off the right side of the right hand fingers?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
guit-box

Re: Playing off the right side of the right hand fingers?

Post by guit-box » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:03 pm

astro64 wrote:Your definition 1 is what I interpret it to mean. That is what Presti and Lagoya did and what Artz advocates. To be able to do this implies a hand position more or less what you would need to play as in your 2nd definition, but that hand position in itself can still be used for playing off the left side of the nail, as e.g. Segovia did.
Yes on the first part, disagree on the last part. If the wrist is straight for 2.(I neglected to say) then it doesn't work for the Presti position. It's more of a thumb under lute position which someone referenced in a previous post.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:25 pm

I wouldn't call Segovia's wrist "straight", if that is what you meant. But I get your point, to play on the right side of the nail the wrist mostly hangs free under gravity, and this position implies a significant angle in two directions for the wrist (down and to the right). I get tendonitis just looking at it, but it obviously works for some.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't think I said Segovia. Maybe you're reversing the terms supination and pronation, I'm not sure. Segovia, Bream, Parkening all did an amount of forearm pronation and also turned the wrist to the right and played off the left side of the nail.

What I'm talking about is the difference between the last two years of GFA winners. Check out

thibaut garcia 2015 GFA (right side playing in Presti style)
vs
Xavier Jara 2016 GFA (left side playing with straight-ish wrist and supinated forearm)

This supinated forearm is becoming more common in modern players, some players still hold the hand like Segovia or Williams, but I've seen a lot of players not just playing with a straight wrist and slight pronation (like Barrueco) but with a straight wrist and a slight supination.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 am

No confusion on my part but your description of the angles and rotations is more clear than mine. I have seen both Garcia and Jara win the GFA so I know how they play.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”