Anyone tried a thumb pick for classical?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Dave

Re: Anyone tried a thumb pick for classical?

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Chet's tone sounds much better in this clip:

https://youtu.be/Vc_zdOEPZDA
Dave

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:30 pm

I bought a set of thumb picks to see if I match the Ecuadorian Requinto style of playing. For example in this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WscFWiP ... opherTeran

the thumb pick is used to play the melody in the upper range, usually strumming 2 strings. He plays rhythm bass strings with and without the pick.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 am

I have been using Alaska Picks for several weeks and have become accustomed to them. I believe they sound pretty good. I am using these picks on three fingers + thumb. My problem is that my thumb nail is too short and am having trouble keeping the Alaska thumb pick on. A few days ago I ordered 3 Fred Kelly picks for my fingers and they came today. Tried them tonight and I like them very much. They seem to stay on my finger a little better but I still have the thumb problem. Am still using the Alaska Pick on my thumb. Wish Fred Kelly made a thumb nail pick like those for the fingers, but larger to fit the thumb.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:18 am

I would suggest you try getting a soft gel treatment at a nail salon. You'll want to hit yourself in the head and wonder why you never did it before.

Joey Grimaldi

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 am

I find them to be a bit clumsy and I prefer the sound of flesh on bass notes, especially a nice flesh rest stroke. I've divided my right hand technique into three positions that I use and it works very well for me:

The first is using my palm rested on the bridge for a palm mute sound, not always applicable in classical but great for blues and arrangements of pop songs.

The second is using my flesh of the nail with the hand only slightly elevated, kind of like a lute player. Good for older style music and such.

The third has my wrist rather high off of the strings, kind of like a flamenco player. This puts my thumb at a position where it's easier to use my thumb nail and can get the fullest sound from my fingers.

Kind of categorizing it a bit is helpful, I use a rather short thumbnail and holding it higher above the strings helps.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”