2017-06-15 Classical guitar summer school - Beverley, nr Boston (MA)

Whiteagle

2017-06-15 Classical guitar summer school - Beverley, nr Boston (MA)

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 am

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it but wanted to make sure everyone knew about the Classical Guitar summer school being organised by Simon Powis at Endicott College in Beverly MA. Endicott is a picturesque liberal arts college in the town of Beverly. Beverly Massechusetts is located 16 Miles out from the city of Boston, and is located opposite the ocean on the scenic North Shore coastline.

The CGC Summer School will bring together dedicated amateur guitarist from around the country (and around the world!) to work on their technique, theory, musicianship, ensemble skills and general musical understanding. There will be five full days of group ensembles, individual lessons, workshops, large ensemble, musical analysis, and socializing with other guitarists.

There will be six main teachers as well as some special guests at the Summer School and being an intimate environment, you will be able to interact with them all on a regular basis.

Teachers for 2017 : Ben Verdery (Yale University) Gohar Vardanya, Raffaele and Janet Agostino, David Belcher, and Simon Powis.

One of the best things I ever did early in my playing was to go to a classical guitar summer school in Sydney Australia. The chance to be completely immersed in the guitar for 5 days is great. Personally I feel like my playing jumps a level every time I attend a summer school. Simon has been a regular instructor at the Sydney summer. He is a fantastic player and a great educator.

Simon has advertised the school to those on his classical guitar corner mailing list but not sure whether word has spread beyond that.

https://www.classicalguitarcorner.com/summer/

powderedtoastman

Re: 2017-06-15 Classical guitar summer school - Beverley, nr Boston (MA)

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks for posting this! I might be interested, and probably wouldn't have discovered it otherwise!
There's a retreat workshop given by Alex DeGrassi in northern California over the summer, which is driving distance for me but I have the feeling that it's geared more toward "fingerstyle" and not as much straight-up classical.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am

powderedtoastman wrote:Thanks for posting this! I might be interested, and probably wouldn't have discovered it otherwise!
Good to hear this has helped get the word out. To be honest I am surprised by how few summer schools there are in the US. Lots of festivals though. In the Sydney school you have guitar in hand at least twice every day in ensemble and orchestra practice. Great to be able to play at the same time as be educated and inspired.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 am

Thank you again for posting this!
I am at the school now and we are going to wrap it up tomorrow.. The orchestra and ensemble performances will be live streamed on Facebook if anybody would like to see.

The fellow students and teachers are all very good people and this has been extremely fun and educational. People of all skill levels have joined and a lot of fellow novices here so prospective members need not be intimidated if they do this again!
I can't think of a better way to have spent my summer vacation really!

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm

That's great to hear. I thought it would be a great summer school. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”