2016-12-09-11 Conference in Melbourne: Instrument of Change: The International Rise of the Guitar (c.1870-1945)

aklein

2016-12-09-11 Conference in Melbourne: Instrument of Change: The International Rise of the Guitar (c.1870-1945)

Postby aklein » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:13 am

An interesting academic conference is coming up at the University of Melbourne, Australia – not exclusively on the classical guitar. Proposals are due by Friday, 22 July.
http://goldenpages.jpehs.co.uk/2016/06/ ... 1870-1945/

Below is an excerpt from the Call for Papers. Please don't put any questions to me, I am just forwarding this.

The rise and international dissemination of the modern guitar can be dated to the decades around the turn of the 20th century, when the instrument took on a variety of forms and became associated with a range of playing styles and music genres. This conference will explore the contexts and trajectories of the guitar during this dynamic period, which pre-dated its global proliferation as a popular music icon in the second half of the 20th century.

We invite papers that investigate the guitar and its worlds from a number of perspectives in the period dating from around 1870 to the end of World War II. Proposals may address issues including:

- The rise of classical, folk, popular and jazz traditions of the instrument
- Studies of specific local contexts and their guitar cultures
- The guitar as part of plucked string ensembles (estudiantinas, mandolin orchestras, the BMG movement etc) and their social or theatrical traditions
- Studies of guitar performers and/or promoters of the instrument
- The engagement of composers/arrangers with the guitar, and studies of repertories or particular works
- Instrumental design, guitar manufacture and dissemination
- Writings on the guitar and the critical reception of the instrument

Costin Soare

Re: 2016-12-09-11 Conference in Melbourne: Instrument of Change: The International Rise of the Guitar (c.1870-1945)

Postby Costin Soare » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Very interesting! I will apply for that!

Cheers!

C.
http://costinsoare.com/en/home/

Quique Castillo

Re: 2016-12-09-11 Conference in Melbourne: Instrument of Change: The International Rise of the Guitar (c.1870-1945)

Postby Quique Castillo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Seems to be a great conference. I wish I could go, unfortunately I'm at the other side of the World.

Peace

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”