S.L. Weiss sheet music

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
cliffbryant

S.L. Weiss sheet music

Post by cliffbryant » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi,

I know there are a few Weiss pieces that one can find here on the Delcamp forum - but does anyone know where to find a larger subset of his works or perhaps a complete anthology (if one even exists)?

Alain Cloutier

Re: S.L. Weiss sheet music

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:55 pm

You can find quite a few Weiss sonatas transcribed for guitar if you do a search for "weiss *** Commercial link removed ***".

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm

You can access the complete works in both notation and tabulature at Daniel Jean forget's website.

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Alain and Desperado,

Thank you very kindly!

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Editions Orphee, Inc. has published guitar arrangements of the complete Moscow Mss., which can be purchased from their site.

Richard Sayage has arranged much of Weiss' music, which you can find on his site.

Raymond Burley did an anthology with arrangements of many of Weiss' best pieces, which can be found at most online bookstores.

David Grimes includes a section dedicated to Weiss in each of his superb anthologies dedicated to Baroque lute/guitar music, i.e.:

Treasures of the Baroque, Vol 1
Treasures of the Baroque, Vol 2
Treasures of the Baroque, Vol 3

Leyenda offers many of Weiss' works free of charge, but for a multi-string guitar, so you'd have to adjust some of the bass notes:

http://web.archive.org/web/201107111335 ... /Weiss.htm

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello,

I'd like to add to the good references above a nice collection which features one of the most beautiful Weiss Sonata : "Baroque music for guitar" edited by Walter Abt, Carish publications. All pieces are transcribed in a so-called "Abt-tuning", E-A-D-F#-B-D which approximates the baroque lute tuning in minor thirds. This tuning is however nothing new, since Miguel Abloniz used it in the early sixties to transcribe Weiss' SW 34; but it proves very effective when it comes to emulate rich chords you can get on a baroque lute. And the tablatures are very useful not to get lost with the unusual, yet very easy, fingerings.

Regards,
Gilles

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 am

gilles T wrote:Hello,

I'd like to add to the good references above a nice collection which features one of the most beautiful Weiss Sonata : "Baroque music for guitar" edited by Walter Abt, Carish publications. All pieces are transcribed in a so-called "Abt-tuning", E-A-D-F#-B-D which approximates the baroque lute tuning in minor thirds. This tuning is however nothing new, since Miguel Abloniz used it in the early sixties to transcribe Weiss' SW 34; but it proves very effective when it comes to emulate rich chords you can get on a baroque lute. And the tablatures are very useful not to get lost with the unusual, yet very easy, fingerings.

Regards,
Gilles
Thank you so much for posting about this, Gilles! One of my complaints about the collections I mentioned is that they don't come with performance CDs, yet it appears that Abt's volume does:-)

I'm also always on the lookout for ways in which alternate tunings can make things easier and more musical. With that in mind, I failed to mention another important arranger of Weiss, namely Ansgar Krause. Krause also experiments with alternate tunings, which work exceedingly well, as you can hear for yourself on his Weiss CD:

http://www.ansgarkrause.com/Weiss_en/English.html

Schott published his arrangements of the following:

a. Suite L'infidele
b. Suite in D
c. Six Pieces (includes the famous Passacalia)

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello Altophile,

You're welcome.
I already noticed we share many common interests; I would be happy to read your comments on the Abt book if you purchase it.

About this "semi-baroque" tuning, I forgot to mention that Richard Darsie used it extensively to transcribe baroque pieces for the renaissance lute. He put a bunch of Weiss transcriptions on the lute ning forum (run by the great Daniel Shokes aka "Kidneykutter" on YT), but you have to register to access the tabs. Otherwise, you may be interested by his free transcriptions of some Bach cello suites for the ten course lute you can find in Sarge Gerbode's pages. Especially the BWV 1008 where he did a magnificient work around the campanellas with open strings. All these transcriptions can be played on the guitar, with minor adaptations for some bass notes.

Regards,
Gilles

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 pm

ABRSM have a Weiss anthology which has some really lovely pieces in excellent editions.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 pm

gilles T wrote:Hello Altophile,

You're welcome.
I already noticed we share many common interests; I would be happy to read your comments on the Abt book if you purchase it.

About this "semi-baroque" tuning, I forgot to mention that Richard Darsie used it extensively to transcribe baroque pieces for the renaissance lute. He put a bunch of Weiss transcriptions on the lute ning forum (run by the great Daniel Shokes aka "Kidneykutter" on YT), but you have to register to access the tabs. Otherwise, you may be interested by his free transcriptions of some Bach cello suites for the ten course lute you can find in Sarge Gerbode's pages. Especially the BWV 1008 where he did a magnificient work around the campanellas with open strings. All these transcriptions can be played on the guitar, with minor adaptations for some bass notes.

Regards,
Gilles
I've already ordered the book from Schott, so I should have it in a couple weeks:-) I'll let you know what I think once I have a look and listen.

~Sean

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm

gilles T wrote:...(run by the great Daniel Shokes aka "Kidneykutter" on YT)...
Also appears as Kidneykutter on this forum.
Listen to some of his videos in the recordings section, they're a treat :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

DerekB wrote:ABRSM have a Weiss anthology which has some really lovely pieces in excellent editions.
Thanks, Derek, I'll check those out. I noticed that ABRSM also has recordings of the pieces assigned to students at the different grades, which can give us the opportunity to hear a pro play some of the beginner repertoire. Nice stuff.

Anastas

Post by Anastas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:19 am

You can find a lot of information about Weiss in the link. It is available in English, German and French.

As far as I remember you can also find sheet of music, but you should look for them, it was not that clear.

Anyway, it is a great resource related to the music and biography of Weiss.

http://slweiss.com/

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”