Looking for "Ashokan Farewell" for guitar

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Malcolm

Looking for "Ashokan Farewell" for guitar

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:35 am

I'm looking for a classical guitar arrangement of this gorgeous, haunting piece from the Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War".

I realize there would be a copyright issue so I am happy to pay for it.

Can anyone help?

Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Tom Poore

Re: Looking for "Ashokan Farewell" for guitar

Postby Tom Poore » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:07 am

Youtube

A link to the sheet music is offered in the description box on YouTube.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:24 am

Thanks Tom but neither of those links in the YT clip seem to be working for me.

Cheers,
Malcolm

[edit: I should rephrase that - the links are available but I'm unable to access the sheet music from this country for some reason]
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:26 am

Look on GSP website and find arrangement of the piece by Jay Unger. I have the sheet music and it isn't a very difficult piece. Another place you might check is sheet music plus.
Hauser III 2014!

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 am

Hi Jack,

I am not familiar with the GSP website and I've checked Sheet Music Plus but can't find it there. Maybe the best idea is to just try to work it out from the various YT arrangements and maybe get my teacher involved. I don't know if he's familiar with the piece but I'll find out when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Meantime, all suggestions are most welcome. There must surely be an arrangement available somewhere that I can get from here in Australia ( by Jay Ungar himself would be nice).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Mark Twain

DerekB

Postby DerekB » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:07 am

Ashokan Farewell is included in Volume 4 of David Burden's Certain Hits. I don't know how good it is. I only remember that Trinity listed it as an alternative piece for one of their exams.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

tnn

Postby tnn » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 am

Malcolm wrote:Hi Jack,

I am not familiar with the GSP website and I've checked Sheet Music Plus but can't find it there. Maybe the best idea is to just try to work it out from the various YT arrangements and maybe get my teacher involved. I don't know if he's familiar with the piece but I'll find out when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Meantime, all suggestions are most welcome. There must surely be an arrangement available somewhere that I can get from here in Australia ( by Jay Ungar himself would be nice).

Cheers,
Malcolm

GSP is gspguitar.com. If you go there and search for "Ashokan Farewell", you'll see a guitar transcription by John Lehmann-Haupt. You can also search for MB21593 to find the arrangement. This is a Mel Bay publication, so you can also find it on the Mel Bay website.

Rob

bert

Postby bert » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:25 am

On youtube is a version by oldwhtman, with a link to his page where the tab is.

CathyCate

Postby CathyCate » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Are you still looking for this score?

Haven't said this in awhile, but consider consulting your local librarian. If there is a college, conservatory or university with a music librarian on staff, that will be even better. It simplifies the search and increases your available practice time. These are good professionals to know, and they will enrich your musical life in so many ways.
Happy hunting!

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Malcolm

not a 1000 miles from you there is a guitar site which has a nice version in notation and tab with 6string=D

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Malcolm,
I sent you a PM but Rob gave you the same reply. The Mel Bay 'JLH arrangement is very nice!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

RichardUno

Postby RichardUno » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:25 pm

If I remember correctly, Acoustic Guitar magazine published an arrangement many, many years ago but I haven't been able to figure out how to order back issues. Perhaps a forum member might have it stashed away somewhere?

Altophile

Postby Altophile » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:06 pm

RichardUno wrote:If I remember correctly, Acoustic Guitar magazine published an arrangement many, many years ago but I haven't been able to figure out how to order back issues. Perhaps a forum member might have it stashed away somewhere?

I have that one, but there are alternative arrangements that are much better and not difficult to play.

~Sean

doug

Postby doug » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I have an arrangement by John Lehmann-Haupt that is moderately easy to play. It's in the key of D, and in dropped D tuning. It's one of my favorite pieces to play!
2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Altophile

Postby Altophile » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Malcolm wrote:I'm looking for a classical guitar arrangement of this gorgeous, haunting piece from the Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War".

I realize there would be a copyright issue so I am happy to pay for it.

Can anyone help?

Malcolm

You can get the GLH version at many places (including Amazon), as has already been stated. Another very nice arrangement, which I prefer to the one by GLH, can be purchased directly from the performer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0qOMjWE1S4

In his response to Jim Lambert, the performer (Shaun Murray) provides a link to his site where the music can be purchased.

Yet another nice version can be found in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Classical Guitar Favorites, by Thomas Kikta. This version is interesting, because Kikta starts by playing the melody on the bass strings, and then re-states it with the melody notes pretty much the same as JLH's version, but he attains the upper register via harmonics. For those who prefer to play that section without the harmonics, Kikta provides an alternative section so that you can duplicate the melody in the upper register but sans harmonics.

All of these versions are very nice, but I'd personally blend Kikta's and JLH's into a single piece that looks something like this:

1. Kikta's full version, but with the last couple measures omitted to allow a transition into JLH's version.

2. JLH's original statement of the theme (page 1 in full of his two page arrangement), but I'd fix what I personally consider an unnecessary liberty he took with octaves in measures 7 and 8.

3. The measures from Kikta's version that were omitted in step 1.

~Sean
Last edited by Altophile on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”