6 string viola gamba /cello music for guitar

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
emeraldvalley

6 string viola gamba /cello music for guitar

Post by emeraldvalley » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I believe there was a six string cello during the mid 1800's, nickname guitar d;amour invented by Stauffer, that Schubert may have used in compositions
such as his sonata arpeggio sonata D82. I believe someone in this century transcribed it for guitar. are there other compositions by composers for this instrument that were adapted for guitar ? and is there proff that Shcubert wrote anything for guitar as some claim, including the chamber piece for Flute Gtr , viola and cello.

gilles T

Re: 6 string viola gamba /cello music for guitar

Post by gilles T » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello emarldvalley,

First, you may read this very interesting article : http://www.jacaranda-music.com/Schubert.html

The guitare d'amour, also known as arpeggione, was a short-lived instrument with virtually no repertoire written for it, except the famous Schubert sonata. Why ? Well, to know why, the best is yet to try one modern copy : I did it, and once bought an arpeggione. It was so difficult to play that I eventually gave up, and I think that's the reason why this instrument didn't attract composers neither guitarists alike. Some cello players may have less difficulty but I found the bow technique quite impossible to master as a guitarist.

If you're curious, some chineese luthiers sell modern arpeggiones on the web, not too expensive.
Hope this will help.
Regards,
Gilles

JohnH

Re: 6 string viola gamba /cello music for guitar

Post by JohnH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 am

I see the arpeggione as a rehash of the 6-string bass viola da gamba. They are fretted and the tuning is quite close to each other. The 6-string bass viola da gamba is tuned D2, G2, C3, E3, A3, and D4.

I heard the Arpeggione Sonata performed on the arpeggione and the the cello. The cello version sounds much nicer to me than the arpeggione, so it's no mystery why the arpeggione died out. After all the viola da gamba died out about 75 years before the rehashed version, the arpeggione, was invented.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”