Sheet music that Segovia used for Tedesco Melancolia?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
glassynails

Sheet music that Segovia used for Tedesco Melancolia?

Post by glassynails » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 am

Does anyone know what sheets Segovia used for Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Melancolia?
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

David_Norton

Re: Sheet music that Segovia used for Tedesco Melancolia?

Post by David_Norton » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Yes: he worked from the original manuscript. He of course edited it down from what MCT wrote, mostly thinning down inner chordal structures, but no major rewrites (as with "Capriccio Diabolico" for instance).
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Were any of Segovia's Platero y Yo arrangements ever published? There are the Gilardino editions, of course, but I'm wondering if Segovia's fingerings are documented anywhere. I think I have an arrangement of Melancolia somewhere that was handwritten by Christopher Parkening. It's probably very close to what Segovia recorded. I'd be interested in Segovia's arrangements of La Arrulladora, La Primavera, etc.
Last edited by RichardUno on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 am

Segovia's version wasn't formally published, but there are photocopies floating around (or were in the 1970s) of various selections which people had transcribed by ear off the LPs.

There is/was a great story of the whole publication background posted on the RMCG Usenet list in December 1999, by Angelo Gilardino. Basically, Gilardino wanted to publish Tedesco's version as-written, and Ron Purcell wanted to publish the as-played-by-Segovia version. Gilardino won the day, and the four-volume complete cycle was printed as-written. In Gilardino's words, this grants each performer "the dignity of being his/her own editor, and no longer thought of as an irresponsible child who needs his/her parent's assistance for walking around." The downside of course is that there are any number of places where Tedesco's original writing is damned near impossible to play, so editing is needed, and playing directly from the score is out of the question for all but the very elite among CG sightreaders.

The same thing happened with other well-known pieces in the 1960s/70s. The published edition didn't align with the recorded version, so pirate photocopies were passed between students freely. Torroba's "Burgalesa" (published in F# major, but generally played/recorded in E major) is a classic example, along with the Platero cycle.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”